"A permanent link to this search" changed/broken. How do I fix it?

Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

In the issue navigator, there is a small icon that used to give a link to the current search. That link would contain no information of any filter that may have been used for the search. Then I could email that link to a collegue (or rather I could include that link in an email with lots of other information).

Now it seems that the icon either gives a link of the form https://mycompany.jira.com/issues/?filter=13902 or https://mycompany.jira.com/issues/?filter=13902&jql=project%20%3D%20PC%20AND%20issuetype%20in%20standardIssueTypes%28%29%20AND%20status%20in%20%28%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Approved%20for%20Implementation%22%2C%20Specifying%2C%20%22Failed%20QA%22%2C%20Created%2C%20Implementing%2C%20%22In%20QA%2Fbug%20free%22%2C%20%22In%20QA%2Fdesired%20functionality%22%2C%20%22Ready%20for%20QA%2Fbug%20free%22%2C%20%22Ready%20for%20QA%2Fdes.func.%22%2C%20%22Approved%20for%20Specification%22%29%20AN...

Note that in the second link, it starts with "filter=13902", which makes the link unusable by my collegues since that filter is not shared (which I usually don't want to).

And, the sharing of a search (the icon on the issue navigator) is not what I want. I want to send the email using my normal email client and include other information (more than a short message).

What am I doing wrong, or how do I fix it?

Regards

Nicklas

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013

Thanks for you effort Renjith.

I'll answer this questions myself then stating that this is a newly intrudued bug or feature. And that there are workarounds to my questions, but that there is no complete solution.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013
0 votes
Kevin Kraemer August 30, 2013

Well, now it would appear that in Jira 6, the permanent link icon is gone completely! :-( Anyone know if it was relocated? The "Share" functionality is useless for what i want to do, since it doesn't include the actual filter details, only the filter ID. What I want to do is to get the full URL for the search, to include in an email or paste in a web page - like it used to work. Any ideas where this functionality is located in Jira 6? Thanks.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013

The filter id got included, since you started your search with an existing saved filter. If you start a new search, add your criteria and get the permlink, it won't contain a filter id.

Once got, use a URL shortener and send it in the email - http://goo.gl/

Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013

But it's very often that I use one of my own filters, perhaps change the sort or some minor search parameter, and then send it off to some collegue. The benefit of having the parameter in the URL is as far as I understand very minor, and it causes a lot of problems!

To start a new filter and enter the same parameters as I have in an existing filter seems like a total waste of time...

And it used to not have the filter id in the URL, at least like 6 months ago.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013

Not needed, just click Advanced, copy the JQL and put it in the new filter (change back to basic if you are comfortable with that).

Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013

I'm sorry, but I think you're missing the point.

I don't want to create another filter. I don't want to have to copy/paste JQL. I just want a collegue to see the list of issues I'm currently watching. To get a URL that I can send of in an email. I used to be able to do that by clicking the "permanent link to this search", but that functionality is changed.

Thanks for the effort though! :-)

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013

Ok, I guess that change came in with the new Issue Navigator. If it was working different before, it should be a regression bug. Will get it checked.

Till then, my suggestion was a workaround to get rid of the filter id in the URL.

Suggest an answer