question about JIRA-groups usage

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014

We have serveral project teams that have been using JIRA groups in a fashion that is starting to create administation problems. Each team has a group name by the project name (for example: "JIRA-teamx"). The group memebers are the team members (Dev, QA, PM). This group name is used to query issues that are not assigned to the team memebers. This way the team can find quickly which tickets in their project is assign to someone else outside the team. Now there are 72 groups in JIRA and noone know whichone is really used and active (many belong to old projects). Managing these groups has become an issue for the JIRA admin.

I rather get rid of this altogether if there is a way to allow the same funcationality to the teams but without creating groups (which is a JIRA admin capability). Is there such capability (like creating groups at the project level by project admin)?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

Atlassian support answered the question:

simply list the set of engineers within your filter? for example:

assignee in ("user A", "user B", "user C")

you can then reference this filter in your JQL. For example:

• Let's say we have the above filter saved as the name "Team Assignee Filter"
  • You can now create something like:
    project = "QA" and filter in ("Team Assignee Filter")

or maybe:

project = "QA" and filter not in ("Team Assignee Filter")

• So you get all issues in QA assigned to the team, or not assigned to the team
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2014

Generally, people use roles instead of groups.

The strength of roles is that you can delegate the maintenance to the people nearest the project so they can choose who is a developer/user/admin/penguin/tester/etc for themselves

But the reporting is less intuituve - you may need to read up on the user functions in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching+Functions

You will need to do some revisions of schemes, but it's worth trying the Group to Role converter utility as well (admin -> scheme tools)

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2014

We use the Developer and User roles in JIRA accross all our projects.

I read on the role adn how it can be managed by teams themselves but it is not very clear on how to do that. If any infromation you can provide to help with that, I would appreciate it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2014

Yup, look at the project permissions. Anyone who has "administer project" will be able to add users (and groups) into roles.

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2014

I added a Role "team" and for project A I added all team members to this role individually. Now how do I use the role "team" in a JQL?

Like project = projectA and assignee is not in TEAM.

I do not see how I can do this in JQL.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2014

There are some functions that let you work with roles, but I'm not sure you can do "assignee not in TEAM" directly.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching+Functions

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2014

No that does not solve the problem. :(

Suggest an answer