queries/searches public and private

mnpiad January 12, 2014

Hi,

Does jira support queries/filters for public (global) use and private use like in clearquest.

Example:can i create search query with certain filetrs say query1. can i share this query to other users in ReadOnly mode do jira support that.

I see there is an option to share the query via email sent to the users.but this will have to sent to all user/group and also i need to check if it is RO or RW

Also can a permission be given to certain people to modify the query globally ?

8 answers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2014

Please read about filters. I believe that is what you are looking for.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Filters

In particular, the section about sharing filters where you can associate filters with projects or Jira Groups.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Shared+Filters

I believe the better way to think about it is filters are tagged verses a directory structure similar to what gmail does.

So if you want certain queries to be available to managers, you can create a Jira group and associate those filters to that group. If you want certain queries to belong to a project then associate those filters to that project. Filters can also be associated to everyone as well.

Instead of having a separate query per project version, You can have one query that has the version field. The user himself can then save a filter with the particular version he wants currently.

0 votes
mnpiad January 13, 2014

may be in jira its called something else but in CQ you have releases say 1.2 , 1.3 and 1.4 each releases can have specific queries so i am looking if i can create a directory(folder) where specific related queries can be stored for better organiszation also we in CQ we have global(public) queries which are shared which are stored under different dir(folder) and users can have there own private (non-shared) queries so we know which are shared and non-shared

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2014

No, Jira's queries are more flexible than that. A release is just a case of using a clause that includes the release(s) you want.

I still don't quite understand the "store a query" - do you mean the query defintion (a "filter" in Jira can be saved, shared, modified and used in loads of places. Or kept private), or the static results at a point in time (where you might as well just download the answer and save it somewhere to grow obsolete in a few minutes)?

mnpiad January 13, 2014

i see the queries in CQ are called filters in Jira. So how do you know looking at the filter if it is private or public. For storing is what is mean can i arrange the filters in dir(folders) same like windows explorer where files can be arranged in folders. if you have 200 filters you have to look to find your particular filter if i can arrange them in folders i can find faster

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2014

If you can see a filter, it's either shared with you, or it's yours. In both cases, you'll be able to see the sharing in the filter descriptions.

You STILL haven't explained what you want from these folders - the results of filters, or just the definitions. I'm going to assume the definitions though - you can't arrange them into folders - you see all the shared ones and you can pick favourites to display.

However, if you've got 200 filters, you probably have a bigger problem than finding things. More than 20-30 implies a structural problem in your data or processes, or that your tracking system is really not good at showing you what you really need to know.

mnpiad January 13, 2014

Ok that explains thankyou

0 votes
mnpiad January 13, 2014

Like i need 10 queries to be stored in folder 1 and another 5 queries in folder 2

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2014

I'm afraid saying "folder" instead of "group" does not explain what you mean. What are these groups/folders/penguins? Where are they? What are they for? What do they do? Most importantly, what are you expecting Jira to actually do with filters and these things?

0 votes
mnpiad January 12, 2014

But i cannot group the filters though

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2014

What do you mean by "group the filters"?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2014

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You can share with no-one, or a group or role. Or "Everyone", which will even let anonymous non-logged-in users see it.

Anyone who can create shared objects can create shared filters (this is controlled by the groups named in the global permissions - a lot of sites set it to "jira users", which usually works out as "everyone with a login")

0 votes
mnpiad January 12, 2014

if i go in details of the query i do see an option for sharing with group/users/developer may be that should allow everyone to see the query

0 votes
mnpiad January 12, 2014

But can the query created be available gloablly to all user or it has to be shared.

Like in a project can admin create a query which will be available to all users when they login or the admins have to share the query via sending emails to each users

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2014

All filters are read-only to all but the person who owns it. Admins have rights to change owners though.

But people can start from a shared filter and create their own.

Suggest an answer