problem changing issue type scheme?

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

Hi!

It's friday and Im too slow to catch where is the problem ... So any help would be appreciated.

Some PMs told us to change the issue type scheme of their projects. They want to migrate from

Task

\-> subtask_type1

\-> subtask_type ....

\-> subtask_type 10

To a new Issue Type Scheme that essentially adds ~15 subtasks types. Jira is configured to allow unassigned tasks, and subtasks.

So I created the 15 additional subtasks and added to a new Issue Type Scheme, and changed that projects to use the new ITS.

The problem is (when switcing the ITS) that some projects are asking the new reporter/assignee and optionally to retain the old values. Others projects did this automagically and I can't see where is the difference in their configurations. All of them use the same field configuration scheme, permission scheme ..

What else can I check?

Thanks!

(Jira 5.2.7)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2014

Hi, You should click on retaining reporters and assignee otherwise you would loose them, this happens if the new field configuration scheme has reporter required and the old reporter no longer has permission to be the reporter anymore.

To be honest, I don't like the whole IssueType migration process, I have lost some data on production becasue of the poor user experience and had to sync with backup using a script, i also reported the matter of poor UX to Atlassian and they created this ticket -

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36801

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

Hi!

In all my attempts I have used the "retain" option, but the migration assistant doesn't allow me to continue to the next screen because "reporter is mandatory".

Please note that there are no changes in permission scheme (users that could be assigned or report issues will remain having this permission) nor in the field configuration scheme (reporter/assigned is a required field before and after config migration).

Any clue why jira is asking me to overwrite reporter and assignee when changing issue type scheme?

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2014

Hi again :)

Just made a copy of the Field configuration scheme, and changed the reporter/assignee to optional. Then applied this scheme to the project.

Now the Issue Type scheme migration assistant lets me change the scheme, retaining reporter/assignee. Once the migration is completed, I could change the Field configuration scheme back to the original.

I don't understand the relationship between issuetype scheme changes and field configuration screen config :?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2014

When you change the IssueType Scheme, the new issuesTypes are validated against the field configuration, so if the reporter if mandatory in the field condiguraiton that results in migration failing as the validation of the issueType with field configuration enforces the reporter to be present even on older issues which might not have a reporter.

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2014

At this point, I think that I'm hitting these bugs:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-16476

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-16441

If I'm trying to change only the IssueTypeScheme, and the permission scheme remains the same in the project .. why Jira migration wizard is asking me what to do with original reporter and assignee?

Suggest an answer