prevent Jira from starting right after installation

hamid rad July 19, 2014

I want to prevent jira from starting automatically right after the istallation. I use Jira 6.0 linux version.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

<rant>

IMSHO (s=somewhat) I dislike the binary installers for the following reasons:

1. they don't tell you what they are going to do
  2. They don't give you any option to alter their default behavior
  3. The don't provide you with a production ready installation

To each their own, of course, and my personal feelings on this matter are my own. I happen to think I know some of the guys who wrote those binary installers and I think they're real stand up guys - however, they do seem to propagate the 'don't wanna install the war and customize by hand? then take what I want to give and be happy' approach that works fine/is expected in windows but with Linux it's offensive.

</rant>

Your best bet is to download the tar.gz install package and just set it up. It takes a small amount of time, even if you go to the trouble of setting up an external database and have to deal with the postgres 9.3 update (b/c, of course, why would you want to run it on anything else? A buncha MYISAM tables? bah...)

Please note - my opinions are based on over 20 years of experience and being paid by the hour for well over half of that time...everyone wanted it fixed quickly, so I developed my config and replayed it time and time again and it worked very well (latest snarl has been with Apache 2.4.6 and SSL named virtual hosts, but that's another topic).

Have fun, take notes (always take notes) and never just go 'ah, f*ck it man' and hit <enter>.

-wc

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2014

I tend to agree with the attitude to the installers - they're great for "get started" or "fire up a test system", and they can be handy as a baseline installation when you're an experienced user who knows exactly how to kick them into shape after installation.

But as soon as I want to do anything different, I tend to reach for the WAR versions because I can control what is happening with them (and they're easier to source control, package etc)

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

Thanks man, that's nice of you (with the seemingly millions of karma) to agree with me....I respect that, and so thanks. And I accept the baseline target for the installers - a person who'se just setup linux/windows server/etc for the first time (gasp) and dunno what to do next. I've just always thought there should be a 'dummies' (only for lack of a better word) and 'experienced' approach ... but i digress.

as far as the original question is concerned they should accept your answer - there ain't much else they can do w/o investing more time than it's worth.

Have a good week man.

-wc

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2014

Agree. Windows installers seems like a necessity for windows people, but I never had any issue with the original linux distro, just unpack and run. In fact I object to them writing linux installers because it's development resource that they could be using elsewhere.

We repack the apps into rpms, source controlling our init scripts, so we have full control and there are no surprises.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2014

You'll need to unpick the installation script, find out where it's triggering the start, and remove that line.

Or use the WAR version

Suggest an answer