post function update issue field not working

Dawn Cooper March 23, 2017

i am trying to set that default for the simple field, priority, in the create transition, of a specific workflow. although priority is an option in the post function called update issue field for simple issue fields...and gives me the value options i would expect, but it doesnt work. I am not getting an error messages to indicate a fail either.

i dont want to do it at a global level.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2017

A post-function sets data after the commit to the transition (and passing of validation).  That is far too late to "set a default", because a default happens as the user goes into the screen, and a post-function is way after they click "create" on that screen.

So, I am a little muddled on what you are trying to do.  Set a default?  Or not offer the user priority at all, and set it in the post-function? 

Also, your attempt to set a closed date - how are you trying to do that?   What's the post-function and what add-on is it from?

Dawn Cooper March 24, 2017

I get your thought process that it would be too late, but it is the first transition. If you are going to set a default for that workflow, it would have to go there in order for it to start from the beginning. I don't want to make this a global default in my instance, only for this workflow. I am trying to default the Priority field to be medium. I would also like to make this a required field-but again, only for this project. I have other items that trigger with the create transition such as to fire an event and trigger a notification. So why couldn't I also set the priority at this point to medium?

my other default setting for closed date, I want to automatically set the date and time of an issue that is closed so that I can use it later for filtering and reporting. I really don't want to depend on my users to enter the correct time. Mostly because we work across many time zones. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2017

Think of the order in which things happen:

• User clicks create
  • Screen is drawn
  • User enters data
  • User clicks "commit"
  • Validation occurs
  • Post-functions happen

For the other transitions, it's much the same, but it has "check conditions" before "user clicks create".  So you can see why post-functions are "too late".

Your defaults can be set by setting the defaults in the fields, although that's not as flexible as it could be (defaulting dates to "2 weeks from now" for example, is a pain).  I'd use the Behaviours functions in the Script Runner add-on to do that sort of thing.

This, of course, only applies at the point at which "screen is drawn".  If you have other "items that trigger the create", you'll need to think about what they do and how they do it, as "defaults" should probably be done by those processes.

Dawn Cooper March 24, 2017

my users click create again, not commit button. so maybe that is the difference.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2017

No.  I used "commit" to say "they complete the transition", as the next bit was about other transitions.  For "create", it will be labelled "create"

There is no "difference".  The list I gave is the process that happens for create.  I'm not sure what you saying what the "difference" is.

0 votes
Dawn Cooper March 23, 2017

I also attempted to have a custom date field for closed date automatically populate with current date in closed transition. this is not working either.

Suggest an answer