permissions for subtasks not working as anticipated.

Jane Brock November 13, 2013

I am trying to allow the current assignee to close a subtask. I have that added as an explicit permission on my project. You cannot differentiate between an issue and subtask, from what I see in permissions. I DO have certain transitions on the parent issue limited by user group....but subtasks I thought were distinct entities on their own. subtasks in this case don't have any transitions. What am I missing in my setup?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jane Brock November 14, 2013

I finally got to see the workflow and they expect the user to have 'resolve issues' permission as well...so I will add that and I should be good. thanks ~ just the discussion helped!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2013

There's two layers to it here.

First, the permissions - you might have "close" permission, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can or can't close. It's more of a flag than anything else.

Secondly, there's the workflow. As you've hinted, you can put conditions on the workflow. Like "user must have the close permission"

The trick for your case is knowing that you can tell Jira to use different workflows by issue type. So you can say things like "for bugs, a user must have close permission, but for sub-tasks, they must be in group X"

Jane Brock November 14, 2013

Well, I sort of got that far. the subtask workflow is a default workflow (whatever came in basic jira) handled by our baseline jira admins, and I don't think I can even see that to know what it contains. I wouldn't think it would be too exclusive, but I could be wrong. I know I don't exclude anything in my setup. (logically who else would close their own subtask right?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2013

I think you need to decide exactly what the rule for "close sub-task" should be, as well as the rule for "top level issue". Then you need to talk to your administrators to get a look at the workflows...

0 votes
Jane Brock November 13, 2013

sorry, the only transition I am expecting is close and that permission is set as ok for the current assignee; yet they do not see the close button.

Suggest an answer