permission scheme people vs project role people

Flavius Nopcea July 30, 2012

Hi,

In the permission scheme I can assign a certain user to a certain permission/action. If that user is not included in one of the project roles can he perform that action?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2012

Yes.

The project role is just one way to grant someone a permission. Naming them explicitly in the permission scheme is another way.

0 votes
Flavius Nopcea July 31, 2012

but then how can I set some of the users to a project and others to another project?

where can I set this distinction? let's say I have 100 users... and 50 I want to allocate to a project and the rest to another project?

thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2012

Roles are defined globally, and available to all projects, but the people you put into each role is project based.

Imagine you have roles like Policeman, Teacher and Paper-shuffler. Then you have a load of English counties that all need Policemen, Teachers and Paper-shufflers. Now let's take a chap called Fred, who is a good policeman - you hire him as a copper in Berkshire (add him to role Policeman in the project Berkshire). Later, he transfers to Hampshire (add him to the policeman role in Hampshire, remove him from Berkshire). Later, he goes part time, and does some training as a teacher, and gets hired to do some teaching in Wiltshire (Add him to the role of Teacher in project Wiltshire)

Like S likes this
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2012

@Nic ever tried your luck in teaching? ;)

Flavius Nopcea July 31, 2012

ok, so the people I put in each project role is project based! I get this. What is strange for me is that I can put a single user in the permission scheme for a certain permission/action and that single user can not exist in the project roles. So the conclusion is that the permission scheme overrules the users assigned in the project roles! Is this correct?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2012

No, hang on, you can put someone in a permission scheme AND a role. They're separate things.

When Jira asks the question "can person A do B", it looks at the permission scheme and thinks "oh, they're named in there, so let them do it". If you haven't got them in there, then it carries on with the "no" and wanders off to look at the roles. It sees "For project D, role C can do B, and person A is in role C, so yes, they can do B". Or possibly the other way round, or the logic may be different in the background - it doesn't matter which. The important thing is that the user matches at least one "this person can do this action" pattern, so it lets them. They could match it 20 times, it doesn't matter, as long as they match at least one!

@Jobin - yes. I wasn't anywhere near as good as my sister or mother at teaching, and discovered I get on much better with computers than small humans. The computers are far more sensible, do what they're told, and much easier to understand. And you're allowed to kick them really hard ;-)

Flavius Nopcea August 1, 2012

ok, so just to make sure I understand....for example when creating an issue and jira presents the people that can be assigned as the reporter for that issue...those people will be the people inside the project roles, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2012

Depends on what you've got in the permission scheme. For reporter, it will list people who match any rule you've got for "can create issues". If that rule is "people in the role of users, project lead and a chap called Fred", then you'll get Fred, the Project Lead and all the project users in the list.

Suggest an answer