order backlog by due date but maintain ranking

Jordan March 25, 2016

how can i order my backlog by due date ASC, but maintain ranking to move issues up/down?  I.E. several issues have the same due date, but others have higher priority/need addressing first?

4 answers

0 votes
Markus_COGNITIFF January 14, 2020

For full disclosure, I represent the company behind the plugin I mention below. The rank field is is used internally by Jira for drag and drop. If you sort by anything else, you will not be able to move issues. We developed a plugin to address Exactly this problem. The way it works is that you can define your own order-by clause which will let you re-rank issues. Take a look if it’s what you need: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1221621 I hope it helps 

0 votes
Steve Smith November 14, 2019

Why has this not been addressed and it's 2019?

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2016

As a temporary measure you might like to try using a swimlane query based on the due date. Something like

duedate< +1d
duedate < +7d
duedate  < +14d
duredate <+1m

which whilst not sorting by duedate will cluster together items with a similar duedate.If there are no items matching a swimlane query then it will not show.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2016

You can only sort a list by one criteria at a time - either the due date is important OR the rank, not both.  In the case of an Agile backlog, the criteria is the rank.

Suggest an answer