one database config used by two jira

Deleted user December 11, 2017

perhaps opposite to one jira - two databases I read, which commented by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

my question :

one database serving two jira instances would cause disaster ? dbconfig.xml will be same on the database connection, I think, so wonder is it possible I run jira 1 on one machine to access database 1,  then I install jira 2, still point out to database 1 ?  what would be happening ?

kind of reminding one servant two masters, but not at the same time :-D

any thoughts?  

Due to limited source, I only get one database for testing, so I wonder 'recycling' , however, should I contact DBA to wrap out whole database before I config it in another jira ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

No, you'll need to drop all the tables on each new run.  But you can use the same database over and over.

Deleted user December 12, 2017

Thank you, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-,  our DBA gave me a database for testing, if I want to drop all the tables , what should I tell him?  can I run the query to get rid of tables on my given jiradbuser at all ?

Deleted user December 12, 2017

no worries, I did something to let all tables 'gone', then recycle the database , so no bothering our DBA. 

not sure that's the final solution, but only for testing, on production, we would not change that much. :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

For older versions of Jira, yes, it was a disaster.  Both of them would be unable to write issues correctly and their indexes fail rapidly.  If you left them long enough, with active users, you'd get a completely corrupt database.

Newer versions of Jira try to prevent the corruption - the first one to connect writes a record into a table which tells other installations that the database is in use, so they just shut down with an error saying the database is already in use by a previous Jira.

Deleted user December 11, 2017

Thank you so much, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-.

my situation is to use SQL2014 for testing, but many times if possible, therefore, each new jira application launch, I just give same database config, that should be okay for jira software v7.6.0 without any extra work from DBA ? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events