nudge an assignee

LeonG June 2, 2013

Is it possible to nudge an assignee similar to how a poke works on Facebook?

Instead of writing a comment for an update i think it would be really useful to nudge the assignee for an update. Any hel on how i can activate or configure this would be a great help.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2013

Depends on how "in the assignee's face" you want to be. As an admin, you can create a saved filter for a search for all issues which need nudging. e.g.

resolution is empty and update < -14d

(or whatever your criteria are). You then create a subscription to this the emails every day/week and everyone who has an assigned issue not updated in the last 14 days gets an email.

The one problem with this is that people soon become blind to regular emails. There's a little voice in a user's head that says, "yeah, yeah... I know I need to update that issue but I need to X first" and it gets lost in the noise.

You could also use peer pressure and have a highly visible dashboard, naming & shaming all assignees that are not updating their issues, all depends on the polotics of where you work

Since you are in onDemand, there probably isn't much more you can do.

LeonG June 2, 2013

Thanks this sounds like a great idea and i totally hear the issue with an automated nudge but might be useful for the admins.

What would be an altertive if i upgraded to the download version?

MatthewC June 2, 2013

You could write your own plugin to perform some action after a specified period. I once wrote one that would increase the RAG (red/Amber/Green) status of an issue if it missed it's due date. You could have one that added comments that used the @ mentions notation to nudge the user. maybe Nic would add some details on how they did it with the jelly example?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2013

You could write your own plugin to perform some action after a specified period. I once wrote one that would increase the RAG (red/Amber/Green) status of an issue if it missed it's due date. You could have one that added comments that used the @ mentions notation to nudge the user. maybe Nic would add some details on how they did it with the jelly example?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2013

You can also use https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Escalation as a model for "nudging" an assignee (It's for escalation, but it's not hard to adapt to make it comment instead of changing status. One of my colleagues set up a test with this last week and I've got an issue open with 12 comments all saying "are we there yet?" at regular intervals.)

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2013

You can put security on that comment if the Assignee belongs to a particular issue but this will be a group level or role level comment .

other option is to share the issue with a personal note

0 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2013

Not possible.

However, You may subscribe the issue by creating jira filter.

Suggest an answer