non-email notifications

Deleted user December 9, 2012

I'm in the process of troubleshooting a problem that involves tickets that appear to be missing. Maybe the tickets in questoins have been moved or deleted, but it's hard to say because the evidence of that are spread across the email notificaiotns e sent to several different users, and who knows if the user would actually have all of the relevant messages or if they ever existed.

My thought is that in the future it might be nice if the server saved a copy of all ticket change notifications in a simple text file. Then we could easily look for the tickets in question and have a log of whatever happened. Is this possible, or is there some other way to log ticket changes?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

Hi Matthew

From the box, JIRA doesn't have an audit log options, as well as there's no structure in database to handle this information. However, if you're using a standalone version, perhaps you may try to enable this function using a external plugin.

ex: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/cz.unicorn.jira.auditlog

Also, I've found and existing new feature request which seems to me related to it. Please feel free to vote for it and to add your questions and concerns.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7846

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

Deleted user December 19, 2012

Thanks. Unfortunately, the deveoper of that plugin doesn't seem to be responsive; it's been 9 days with no response to my initial query.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

All changes to an issue are recorded in the change history of the issue itself. The only stuff that is missing is, if the issue gets deleted, nothing is recorded. In general delete permission is not given to all users, rather only to project admins so that is controlled.

If you want a simple log of all events that happens in the system, install the Script Runner plugin, add a listener using the built in script for sending a custom email, and send an email to a resouce mailbox dedicated for this. So that you have a record of every single mail that has gone out of the instance. (I have not tested this though)

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-Sendacustomemail

Deleted user January 28, 2013

Thanks for the suggestoin, but while a ticket might contain all of the relevant data, finding the ticket can be a problem. For example, if ticket A-123 is moved to B-456, A-123 ceases to exist. if I tell someone to look at A-123, they can't find B-456. Ideally, Jira would provide redirection (maybe I should request that!), and that would resolve this particular problem.

Email notifications is an option, but that's hardly a simple log. That's thousands of email messages that have to be parsed when looking for anything. You also have to deal with getting the messages onto a place where access privileges can be reasonably managed.

I've already lined up someone to write a plugin to log operations to a text file, as this seems like the simplest way to record and store the data. That way it can be parsed with grep, viewed with any text editor, and managed with most any log-rotation utility.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

I am slightly lost now. If the issue is moved JIRA will provide redirection. If issue is deleted where can JIRA forward?

I gave the email solution since you wanted a log of everything without writing a plugin :)

Deleted user January 29, 2013

You are correct, Jira does provide redirection for moved tickets. I must have only thought that I tested that, and some of the tickets we thought had been moved must have been deleted. I'm not averse to custom plugins, though I don't have time (and perhaps ability) to write one myself. Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events