new ticket with the same subject in email ?

Calogero Bonasia June 8, 2015

I noticed that if someone uses to send email to open a new ticket but the subject of the email has already been used to open a ticket previously (which was then closed), it happens that the ticket is closed commented with the content new email, but it does not open a new ticket. It is a logical behavior, I agree, but some of you have experience on how to "circumvent the intelligence of users" and make sure that for example to open a new ticket if one already exists with the same object but closed?
(the second option that I have in mind, provides a penalty of 22 years in prison for those who should be implemented, for the moment I prefer not to apply ...)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2015

Atlassian believes that 22 years in prison is a fairly light punishment for reopening closed tickets. We suggest you raise this punishment to at least 33 years, with no possibility of parole. wink

Serious answer is that this should not be happening in a default configuration. Is this just JIRA? Or do you have Service Desk installed? Are you using any third party mail handlers?

0 votes
Gary Myers June 22, 2018

We have this issue as well and it's quite problematic.  What we experience includes:

• Someone has a legitimate follow up on a closed issue and responds to the email, the mail/commentary gets attached to the closed issue with no notification to any of the parties involved including the Assignee.
  • We have clear cases where someone sends a completely new email which happens to have the same subject as a past Issue, (i.e. "Urgent Issue" or "System error") and despite it being a new email this gets attached to the older closed ticket with the same subject.

I think a simple solution would be if a new email is received and the existing Issue is not closed, it should attach itself to the Issue and proper notification will occur to the Assignee/status change will occur.  If the Issue with same subject is already closed, Service Desk should open a new Issue.

This proposal does not solve the situation where a new email of the same subject is associated with an unrelated Issue, but it would at least ensure appropriate attention is brought where the issue remains open or results in a new Issue where it's closed.

I'm surprised this is not a more common issue.

Suggest an answer