It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

new estimation field

Hey,

I created a new estimation field for QA only. My questions are:

1. How can I add the estimation inserted in this field to the overall estimation?

2. How can I change the Original Estimate field name?

3. How can I create a rule that if a user insert an input that isn't in the correct format (1d for ex.), an error message appears?

Thank you!

2 answers

can you elaborate please?

Separating evaluation fields is not a good idea; it’s better to divide it into subtasks

why is it not a good idea?

Because it will not work well with standard jira functions
I tried to do the same for the evaluation field that I sell to the client, and this is only a text field and you have to consider everything yourself and add

Like Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ likes this
0 votes

I assume you have added a plain text field, rather than a number?  Otherwise you won't be able to enter stuff like "1d".

1. Code (automation or scripting that can translate your text field to numbers and amend the real estimate)
  2. You can't
  3. Code (automation or scripting a validator on the text field you've added to hold this)

Thanks for the answer.

How should I add a number field rather than text?

but i want to be able to add both number and letters. for example:

1d,

1w

0.5d

You need to make a choice.  Either use a number field, so the scripting/automation and reporting can see it as a number, or use a text field so you can put letters into it and parse them for the numbers.

Either way, your field will not behave the same way as the estimate field.  The estimate field is a special system type.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you