new estimation field

Yael Dvorin December 11, 2019

Hey,

I created a new estimation field for QA only. My questions are:

1. How can I add the estimation inserted in this field to the overall estimation?

2. How can I change the Original Estimate field name?

3. How can I create a rule that if a user insert an input that isn't in the correct format (1d for ex.), an error message appears?

Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

I assume you have added a plain text field, rather than a number?  Otherwise you won't be able to enter stuff like "1d".

1. Code (automation or scripting that can translate your text field to numbers and amend the real estimate)
  2. You can't
  3. Code (automation or scripting a validator on the text field you've added to hold this)

Thanks for the answer.

How should I add a number field rather than text?

Дима_Д December 11, 2019

but i want to be able to add both number and letters. for example:

1d,

1w

0.5d

Дима_Д December 11, 2019
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

You need to make a choice.  Either use a number field, so the scripting/automation and reporting can see it as a number, or use a text field so you can put letters into it and parse them for the numbers.

Either way, your field will not behave the same way as the estimate field.  The estimate field is a special system type.

0 votes
Дима_Д December 11, 2019

can you elaborate please?

Дима_Д December 11, 2019

Separating evaluation fields is not a good idea; it’s better to divide it into subtasks

why is it not a good idea?

Дима_Д December 11, 2019

Because it will not work well with standard jira functions
I tried to do the same for the evaluation field that I sell to the client, and this is only a text field and you have to consider everything yourself and add

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer