new Jira 4.4.1 install, cannot login

Alex Nelson August 2, 2012

Any ideas what could be to blame?

4 answers

0 votes
  • I'm not sure where the logs are located.
  • When I would try to login I would enter the correct credentials and it would churn for a couple seconds like something was going to happen, but then I would end up at the same login screen with no indication of what had just happened or not happened.
  • I verified that I was using the correct password by purposely entering the wrong password; when doing so it yelled at me.
  • I am running Jira 4.4.1 as listed in the title of my question. I was using IE9, and also rolled back to IE8 to see if that would make a difference...it did not.

Clearing the cache has allowed me to login again, but why? What could be cached on a brand new install so as to prevent me from logging in?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2012

Details from the previous install are the most likely culprit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2012

Difficult to say without more information. Did you have an old version installed (then uninstalled, to make way for the new one)? That could do it.

The logs are whereever you've chosen to put them. Look for catalina.out in the logs directory of your installation (assuming you're using Tomcat) and atlassian-jira.log under the install as well.

I had 5.1.1 installed and then removed it as my testers are still on 4.4.1. After we get this production environment setup with 4.4.1 and migrate the test data over we plan to upgrade to 5.1.1.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2012

That would explain it, I have a couple of dev/test systems here, through laziness, they're all on the same url. Swapping between them requires a cache clearing, sometimes.

0 votes
Kiran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2012

Try clearing the cache and login.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2012

All sorts of things. Can't tell without more detail. This question is a bit like ringing up a car mechanic and saying "my car is broken" and not telling them where you are, whether it starts, whether you've dumped it in a ditch, or even if you're in the same country as the car...

What do you actually get when you try to log in? Screens? What version are you running? Browser? What else have you tried? As Jobin says, most importantly what do the logs say?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

What says the logs?

Suggest an answer