new Jira 4.4.1 install, cannot login

Any ideas what could be to blame?

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

What says the logs?

All sorts of things. Can't tell without more detail. This question is a bit like ringing up a car mechanic and saying "my car is broken" and not telling them where you are, whether it starts, whether you've dumped it in a ditch, or even if you're in the same country as the car...

What do you actually get when you try to log in? Screens? What version are you running? Browser? What else have you tried? As Jobin says, most importantly what do the logs say?

Try clearing the cache and login.

• I'm not sure where the logs are located.
  • When I would try to login I would enter the correct credentials and it would churn for a couple seconds like something was going to happen, but then I would end up at the same login screen with no indication of what had just happened or not happened.
  • I verified that I was using the correct password by purposely entering the wrong password; when doing so it yelled at me.
  • I am running Jira 4.4.1 as listed in the title of my question. I was using IE9, and also rolled back to IE8 to see if that would make a difference...it did not.

Clearing the cache has allowed me to login again, but why? What could be cached on a brand new install so as to prevent me from logging in?

Details from the previous install are the most likely culprit.

Difficult to say without more information. Did you have an old version installed (then uninstalled, to make way for the new one)? That could do it.

The logs are whereever you've chosen to put them. Look for catalina.out in the logs directory of your installation (assuming you're using Tomcat) and atlassian-jira.log under the install as well.

I had 5.1.1 installed and then removed it as my testers are still on 4.4.1. After we get this production environment setup with 4.4.1 and migrate the test data over we plan to upgrade to 5.1.1.

That would explain it, I have a couple of dev/test systems here, through laziness, they're all on the same url. Swapping between them requires a cache clearing, sometimes.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

72 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you