needing to migrate project out of our Jira Server v6.4 into Jira Cloud struggeling to upgrade v6.4

Noser IT July 10, 2017

Hi everyone

I prepared the clone of our productive jira server v6.4 and its database. the project to be migrated is the only one left on the instance. now I'm stuck at the task to upgrade this old version to the one matching the most rescent cloud version. could only find v7 installer and restriction telling about the problems with incompatibility.

Detailled help would be highly appreciated

KR

Matthias

3 answers

0 votes
Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

Daniel,

Brian and myself just went through this process (took us several trys). Therefore we decided to share it in this article.

Noser IT July 12, 2017

Hi Sebastien

your article gave me some hope and I followed it step by step. Unfortunately ran into some serious trouble with the plugins. 'Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager - Plugin License Storage plugin' referenced by you was not present, meaning I could not find the code to be removed in any pom.xml. I ended up with this Error:

JIRA Startup Failed.png

after trying around removing and replacing plugins I went back to a snapshot taken before running the install v7.0.11.

From there I than did the installation first, that completed, I adjusted the configs incl. the server.xml but when starting the JiraService it struggles to start: it's still pointing to the old tomcat version 7...

So I ran an upgrade with the wizard, adjusted the configs incl. the server.xml but the JiraService was still pointing to tomcat7.exe. I successfully changed the pointing to tomcat8.exe but Service did not start anyway :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2017
Noser IT July 14, 2017

thanks Nic

I had found that guide myself and went all through it. Without any improvement. Although I must admit not to have found the .jira-home.lock file (even after unhiding files). I see it at the right spot on my productiv environment v6.4, but NOT after upgading to v7.0, eventhough the log sais that it actually is locked!?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2017

I'm not sure I understand the question.

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Hi Daniel,

Upgrade paths between 6x and 7.x are funky. Project import can fail with 100 different reasons if the source and destination JIRA's are not on the same version. Not good but its been like this forever.

Our usual recomendation is the upgrade first and then export, import.

The 6.x needs to be upgraded to 7.0 and then to the latest to be able to import. So two upgrades and then export, import.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2017

The docs will tell you to use the latest version of JIRA and then go to the Cloud.  Recently however, this has been breaking, and I'd try 7.3.latest at this point.  6.4 to 7.3 should be possible in a single step, and I'd ignore the Cloud part of it until you've got that upgraded.

Noser IT July 10, 2017

Thanks Nic for your Info. I'd be very happy to give it a try upgrading straight from 6.4 to 7.3 but do not know how.

What I have tryed already: since I had not found any upgrade option out of v6.4 at all, I made an installation of v7.0, which runs with a trial licence. But when I try to import my backuped data from 6.4 into 7.0 I only get this error: This data appears to be from an older version of JIRA. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of JIRA is at build number '70121', but the supplied backup file was for build number '64014'.

judging by this experience I guess that running another installation is not going the right direction, any further advice?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

It would be better to use the standard upgrade route, not export/import. 

You'll want to follow https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/server_jira_upgrade and in the bit that says upgrade, run the installer as usual and choose the "upgrade" option rather than install.

Suggest an answer