nebie to jira

Majid October 10, 2017

Hi,

This my first time using Jira,  can you please tell me where can I find a tutorial about workflow validations.

Thanks,

your help is apprecuated.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2017

I suggest you immediately change the permission scheme.

The access model has not changed since Jira 3.6, although some of the default groups did change with Jira 7.0.  Best practices for security purposes is to only give users what they need. JIRA uses the Grant model which supports this, not a ‘restrict’ model,

The principle is:

• Grant people the ability to log in
  • Grant people the ability to use the projects they need, but only the level they need.

The problem most new users have traces back to Atlassian’s default settings of allowing the "group of users that can log in and use an application", permission to everything in a project. This ends up meaning "can use application" becomes "can log in and see everything"

So, you need to delete that group from all the permission schemes.  If you do that right away life will be much easier. 

• Go to "manage applications" and check what the login group is
  • Look at all active permission schemes and check how they allow "browse" access to projects, ensuring they say something simple like "Role: user"
  • Go through all your projects and remove the "can use application" group from the role of user (and others if the permission scheme says so).  Replace it with the groups and users who should have access to the project.
  • I strongly advise using Project Roles since they can be managed by the project admin instead of groups that need to be managed by a JIRA admon
  • Go to Admin -> Roles and change the default role memberships to be empty for users, developers and so-on.  This prevents new projects accidentally granting access to limited users
0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2017

Hi! 

Please, start from this manual 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Majid October 10, 2017

Thanks lot, I am not configuring JIRA, just user that someone assign to him an issue.

Suggest an answer