move jira from linux to windows server

KentGran March 29, 2017

Hi!
I can not find an exact answer to my problem hence I ask this question.

The company have decided to move from a linux environment to a windows server 2016 environment and I have to see to that we get both JIRA and CONFLUENCE to work in that new environment. Ican set it up and it works. Have created an empty database with our postgreSQL manager and connected JIRA (first application) to it.
The question is, how do I get all the data we have got in our linux JIRA environment into this physically new server? I have got both the XML backup of the database. I ave got backups of the attachments and index directories and on top of that, I have also got the native postgres backup available.
What happens with paths? Slash instead of backslash for instance?

I also installed a newer version of the postgreSQL. It appears to store data regarding the version in the XML-backup. What happens if that data is overwritten?

Regards

-- Kent Granstrom

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2017

You should be able to import the XML using Admin -> Import.   it's OS and database independent and the standard way to move between servers and database types.

You can simply copy the attachments over.  You don't need the index files - the import will create a new set anyway.

KentGran March 30, 2017

Ok!

Tried that but there appears to be loads of items creating errors when importing such file in the new JIRA instance. katl-commons et.al was causing it to hang and I had to restart from nan empty db. Found a temp(?) solution at Atlassian whereby I ran a script removing the tags and got it working at least to the degree of being able to restore the datafile. Complete or incomplete, that is the question... Feels a bit iffy having to edit an exported backup before it is restorable... 

Suggest an answer