move issues from jira software to jira service desk

Rick Whitley January 4, 2017

We are trying out Service Desk and I would like to move the issues we have from JIRA Software which is running on a different server.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

That's not a "move", it's a "copy it over to another server, then delete the source issue".

You'll need code for that. 

However, you need to bear some things in mind

• The user who created a request will have their request deleted - that is not going to be popular, as you will have to refer them to the other system, you lose all the tracking, and there's no placeholder for them to follow to the other issue (if you are going to let them see it)
  • All the Service Desk stuff will be lost on the target

There's quite  lot of work to do to make this copy and delete work, and you'll need to do quite a lot of coding or scripting if you do it yourself.  Two better options would be:

• You could use something like K15t's Backbone or iDalko's Exalate add-ons todo "issue synchronisation"
  • Install Service Desk on the Software instance instead.  Massively simplifies your disconnect.
0 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2017

Hi Rick,

Hi,

Have a look at our app Exalate.
(I'm biased as I'm part of the team creating this add-on)

I made a small video how such 'Move' operation would work - here

This move operation has been implemented with the  'Automation for JIRA' add-on.  Check it out.

This is the automation rule which makes it all possible

automation-rule.png

1. The rule is manual triggered
  2. The exalate action copies the issue to the remote issue tracker
  3. The unexalate action cleans up the link between the local issue and the remote issue
  4. The delete removes the issue from the local issue track

You could skip the 'unexalate' action, but then you would see on the remote issue that the local issue has been removed ...

2017-12-19_09-41-04.png

Francis

0 votes
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

Maybe if you will stay on 2 instances, then this plugin can help you: JIRA to JIRA Issue Copy

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

Is there a question here? If you are asking if it is possible to export and import then the answer is yes. 

Suggest an answer