move Jira offsite to Google Apps, is it possible?. How?

Vijit Jain June 12, 2013

We host a Jira webapp on our premises, and would want to move it offsite to preferably google Apps, along with our emails and other services, is it possible?.

what is required in order to make this possible?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vijit Jain June 12, 2013

i will be using the LDAP server for authentication. And will have to import my users to GADS, now does that work, Harry?

TechTime Initiative Group June 12, 2013

IMHO it does. Your users are in LDAP. Crowd goes to LDAP. Google Apps, Jira and other apps are configured to go to Crowd. Sounds good to me.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

If you're hosting this off-site, I'd make sure that firewall rules allow your LDAP to connect offs-ite and the latency. You'd need to host it somewhere close to your AD.

Have personally found the lower tier Amazon instances to be too slow and you need the higher tier models, which do cost more.

If you have Crowd, a large instance and a set of Atlassian products it might be best to go with a custom dedicated server solution.

0 votes
Vijit Jain June 12, 2013

I like the SSO, and would like all my apps to be used with SSO, and even my emails, will look into the solution provided by Ed.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

It doesn't work the way you *might* be thinking it'll work. You can get Crowd users to SSO to Google Apps, but you can't use Google Apps as your auth directory - meaning you still need 2 sets of users - 1 in Crowd and 1 in your emails / Google Apps.

Only OnDemand will allow the above, not download Crowd.

Vijit, it all depends on what "apps used with SSO" (or "the above" in Harry's comment) means.

You can have Crowd SSO for Google Apps and for Jira thus making them work together. You can't have Google Apps as the backend user directory for Jira via Crowd.

More info here on that same page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Configuring+the+Google+Apps+Connector#ConfiguringtheGoogleAppsConnector-Background

0 votes
Vijit Jain June 12, 2013

using atlassian Crowd, what will that achieve for me?

it says i can have a connector and a SSO for Jira, Bamboo, Google Apps.

what is the limit on ease of use with Atlassian Crowd

If you are using Atlassian Crowd behind your Jira you should be able to configure SSO between Google Apps and Jira. Where Jira (and Crowd) are hosted is irrelevant (as long as they can reach Google Apps).

Hard to comment further because the specific needs are not clear. "SSO with Google Apps" is not the same as "Move Jira off-site".

Considering that all Atlassian software is available for evaluation - you can just try and see if this suits your needs.

This seems to be the guide to follow:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Configuring+the+Google+Apps+Connector

0 votes

I cannot provide a definitive answer regarding the ability to run Jira in Google App Engine. These are the tidbits I've found:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/7451/is-it-possible-to-run-jira-on-google-app-engine

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-15558

Both point to the answer being "Not possible at this time"

You can run Jira in an Amazon EC2 VM - this is fairly simple to setup, migrate, maintain and support. One of the Atlassian Experts like ourselves can help you if your organization doesn't have the necessary expertise. Most of our instances of Atlassian products have been running in Amazon EC2 for over 5 years. If you interested - feel free to get in touch with us.

Email and other services can be moved to Google Apps independently or hosted on the same VM depending on your requirements.

Having said that, unless you run some custom integration I would suggest looking at the option of migrating to OnDemand - again the Experts will be glad to help with that including the purchase of the licenses.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2013

OnDemand is the only way at the moment to use Google Apps emails with Atlassian products.

It's not supported on Jetty, so App Engine will never happen. Tomcat is the only thing supported now since a while ago.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2013

Hi Vijit,

I'm not sure if it's the case, but you can integrate Google Apps with Atlassian OnDemand instances:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Integrating+OnDemand+with+Google+Apps.

Cheers,

Lucas Lima

Suggest an answer