modify the subject line in each template

nitram June 2, 2014

Hi all,

I need to modify the subject-line on each jira-template.
We are using a ITSM-Tool which create/update tickets automatically by mail-in, therefore it is necessary to set the Jira-Ticketnumber at the end of the subject line. How does it work, to edit the subject-line, of each mail-template?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2014

Depending on your version of Jira (this changed somewhere in the 4 range, and I'm not 100% sure it's still valid for 6.2+), go find the file <jira install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/subject - that contains variables which you can rearrange.

Personally, I wouldn't change it, you can easily break threading in Gmail and other clients, and your ITSM tool should really be looking at the whole subject line for issue-ids, like Jira does with incoming mail

nitram June 9, 2014

Thanks for your answer Nic.
It is really important, to modify the subject line of all notifications, otherwise our ITSM tool isn t able to match these "new" ID to an existing process.
Can you please give me an example, how to rearrange such an variable?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2014

Just have a look at the file I pointed you to, you don't need an example.

Personally, I'd be seeing if I can fix your ITSM tool to behave in a sane way instead of inflicting it's brokenness on Jira, but I don't know whether it's flexible enough.

Suggest an answer