migration as well version upgrade for jira

vidhi goyal April 23, 2014

Hi,

I want to migrate my jira from one server to another as well upgrade also.

In the jira document they say either about migration or upgrade.

As per my assumption do I need to first install a older version of jira in new server for migration. And after that inplace version upgrade.

Please tell in more detail

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2014

Er, the documentation absolutely does cover moving from one server to another, upgrading and changing databases amongst other things. I don't think you've bothered to look for it frankly. Try any search engine for "jira upgrade" and you'll find hundreds of links to the Atlassian documentation.

Anyway. The order is up to you. You could upgrade your current system in place, then move it. Or move it, then upgrade it. Or do both at the same time.

I'd tend to do move then upgrade myself, with a view to doing both at the same time - the reason is that if you don't touch the old original server, you've got a fail-back if your live implementation goes wrong. It all depends on how your testing goes as to whether you think it's possible/safe to do it all in one go.

vidhi goyal April 27, 2014

I make it simple for me. i just want to move JIRA from one server to another. I don't want any upgrade. What is the steps for it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014
Follow the docs for migration. The short version is create a new Jira install on the new server, copy the data from the home directory, point it at the database and start it up.

Actually we are cloning the server. So do I need to install Jira again or change in the configuration file fro server and BD is enough to run the JIRA

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2014

No, you probably won't need to install anything if you are cloning. I assume your home directory for Jira is included in the clone.

yeah it will be there but I want to know what all configuration I need to change I did not get any document.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2014

The first hit on google is "Migrating Jira to another server". I'm not sure why you can't find that.

vidhi goyal April 28, 2014

I saw the doc on Migrating jira to another server but there they are again installing it new server. My question is I have a cloned server. In that how will i configure JIRA wrt new database and new server details. I can change database using jira config wizard.what about new server details. Is there any specific steps for it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2014

The advantage of cloning a server is that you don't have to do most of the configuration in the "migration" document. But you DO need to go over the document to check what you need to change in your specific environment. Although "nothing to change" is a perfectly valid answer there.

If you're moving the database as well, then yes, you'll need to change the connection to the database in the new system, but you shouldn't need to change anything else. All the "specific steps" you're asking for are in the migration document, I'm really not sure what's missing here.

Suggest an answer