migrating from ondemand to onpremesis - database version issue

Cullen Philippson August 13, 2014

Version 6.3.3.1 onPremesis server installed on CentOS 6.5 linux

After importing our backup from our ondemand site, the jira service will not start. The following is in the Jira (tomcat log):

****************************************************************************************************

Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency.

The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.

Database version is: 64000

JIRA app version is: 6331

Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 6.3.3#6331-sha1:d919e5c6aac4bdb845e5512db42aa18387f6a299

****************************************************************************************************

How to I overcome this version issue and will it compromise my data?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

Hi, we have got that problem serveral times. The problem is that the version on onDemand often larger that latest release version on standalone. We do the following - manually edit the xml backup and change the version and build number so the xml restore will "eat" backup from improper version. There are often the problems with changes - so we do the drop of columns that are not part of database anymore and create empty columns using linux regexp change. But there is high probability that you will have to change only those numbers. Please note, that it is often that you are unable to migrate due to plugin version match - either do the same either disable / remove plugin at target standalone instance. I recommend either wait until new release is comming so you will get the match between ondemand and standalone, either do the test migration by the method I've sent to you and then deside if you are ok with the imported data.

Cullen Philippson August 14, 2014

Thank you for your post, I'll try it out and see how far I can get.

nbazzeghin August 14, 2014

I didnt have all that many issues, so I just recreated them all by hand for the time being.

Great Alexey! This workaround worked so far. Here is what I changed.

Downloaded backup from onDemand Server

unzip archive

edit entities.xml

Core Application Version 6.3-OD-02-003

Core Application Build # 63300

zip files back into archive

import using web gui. You will still get the warning about the JIRA build # being 6.4, but you can import successfully and login.

Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

Glad that it helped! You can mark this issue answered to close the ticket.

0 votes
Cullen Philippson August 15, 2014

This issue is closed.

0 votes
nbazzeghin August 13, 2014

Im also having the same issue. Cant import the export from Jira OnDemand to a local server running 6331

0 votes
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2014

May I confirm that you are following the steps from here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+from+JIRA+Cloud+to+JIRA+Server

Cullen Philippson August 13, 2014

Yes, after step 3 the web interface asked me to restart Jira. After restarting the service it returned a null pointer exception, I checked the tomcat logs and saw the error in the message about the version mismatch.

Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

Nigel & Cullen, are you guys using the latest download version: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download

yes, 6.3.3.1 is the latest as of yesterday. Is there status on release of a compatible version with OnDemand 6.4.0?

nbazzeghin August 14, 2014

Yes, 6.3.3.1

Suggest an answer