migrate to jira cloud

anthony oleary November 26, 2014
We are having problems upgrading fro a hosted JIRA to the cloud version:
Here is the status of the Jira import and the steps i followed. I suggest opening a ticket on Atlassian Support in order to see what they recommend. 
We have a Jira OnSite with the Agile addon version 6.6.13 where we have several active projects. What we aim to achieve is to migrate 2 projects from this instance to a OnDemand Jira.
Following the official tutorials and explanations in order to make a migration test we did the following steps:
- backed up the OnSite Jira 
- backed up the OnDemand Jira (https://kweekweek.atlassian.net)
- uploaded the zip archive on the WebDav
- import the backup
After the import we saw that all the users were recreated (all the existing users were deleted and replaced with the ones in the import), the workflows and the projects were imported but no issues were visible even after a re-index.
Here we have the following questions:
1) If in both platforms the users have the same email address then they will be merged? What is the policy?
2) We did something wrong that the tickets were not imported?
After we saw that no issues were imported, we proceed to import the backup of the OnDemand Jira that we originally made and we identified the following:
1) All the content was correctly imported
2) All the users were deleted except the sysadmin. Is that normal?
Can you also please describe the way we could migrate only the 2 projects (tickets, users, workflow) that we want and not all the data from the OnSite Jira? Can you assist us in this migration process?

2 answers

0 votes
anthony oleary December 3, 2014
Thank you for the answer. 
Regarding of the solution we tried, indeed now we realise that we tried a restore. But we arrived to this solution because on our OnDemand Jira instance in System -> Import & Export section we do not have the Project Import functionality. Is there a missing plugin or something misconfigured?
As for the project import, in order to successfully import one project, the two Jiras (source and destination) must have the exact same configuration (exact extra fields, plugins, workflows, users)?
Thanks,
0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2014

Hi Anthony,

What you did was actually a full restore of your JIRA Server into JIRA OnDemand and that wipes out everything that existed before. As for the sysadmin user, it is created automatically once the restore process is finished.

Since you want to migrate two projects from your JIRA Server into your JIRA OnDemand, my suggestion is that you follow our knowledge base article:

The process outlined in the KB article is for two OnDemand instances, but it can be applied to for one JIRA Server instance and another OnDemand.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Suggest an answer