migrate JIRA Cloud Application from one to another

Qin Li June 29, 2016

My company currently has two JIRA instances that both uses JIRA cloud version V1000.110. We need to migrate one instance to the other. Instance A has about 50 users and 15 projects, while instance B has about 30 users and 25 projects. We want to migrate all the data, issues, configurations of instance B to instance A.

We have read the posts in your KB and aware that the "Project Configure Plug" does not support JIRA cloud". we saw a workaround suggested:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-migrate-projects-from-one-jira-cloud-application-to-another-779160766.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-two-different-jira-cloud-applications-together-779160767.html

Can you let us know, besides the above mentioned, is there a better solution available now to server our purpose? If there is no better solution, what are the potential risks of using the solution suggested above?

Thanks,

Qin Li

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2016

Hi Qin Li,

I am very glad you shared this interesting question with me.

I think there is no other solution than the one described in the second URL of your question, about merging two different JIRA cloud instances into one. In a few words, the process described there consists of:

1. Migrating both JIRA cloud instances to a "Server" environment.
  2. Merging both server instances into one.
  3. Migrating the merged JIRA server instance to the Cloud.

I can see no special risks in that process. In fact, as the process is defined, you start by making backups of both the starting instances, Additionally, in step 3 you would migrate to a new JIRA Cloud instance, so you could keep both original instances and use them in case there is any problem and you have to revert the process.

Our plugin "Project Configurator" could be very convenient and save you a lot of work in step 2 above. If you plan to follow this process, get in contact with us at "support at awnaba dot com" and we can discuss the details.

Best regards,

José Marañón

Awnaba Software S.L.

0 votes
Qin Li July 6, 2016

Hi Jose,

Thank you very much for the answer. That's very helpful.

Yes, we will follow the 3 steps process you described above. We are now on the planning stage. We may have more questions that relate to merging/migrating as we move forward. Should I just ask those questions here or start new threads?

Best Wishes,

Qin Li

José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

I think the best options would be either:

• Open a "Support request" ticket at our issue tracker at http://awnaba.atlassian.net. This is a public JIRA instance, so that you can create your own account in a few clicks.
  • Send an email to this address: support AT awnaba DOT com.

Following this same thread to post new questions could be unclear. If creating new questions at Atlassian Answers, remember to tag them with the label

so that we can get an email notification when the question is created.

Cheers!

Qin Li July 6, 2016

Sure. I will do that.

Suggest an answer