merge xml backup with JIRA instance

Ian Fowler January 5, 2016

Hi,

I have a backed up xml file of my JIRA instance, which has a specific project in it that I would now like to import into my current JIRA SERVER instance as a new project. Is there a way of doing this easily from the backup file or what other method would be the best.

Thanks

Ian

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

You should be able to use "project import" to drag in the content of a single project.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/restoring-a-project-from-backup-185729444.html

0 votes
Ian Fowler January 11, 2016

Hi Nic, That worked to a certain point but I am now fighting the following error message:

The status 'Open' is required for the import but does not exist in the current JIRA instance.                                                            
The status 'Open' is in use by an issue of type 'Bug' in the backup file. The workflow 'SVMASC--User Story Workflow', which is associated with issue type 'Bug', does not use this status. You must either edit the workflow to use the status or associate a workflow with issue type 'Bug' that uses the status. (NOTE: repetitive spaces have been replaced by '-' characters)                                                                    

The workflow DOES contain 'OPEN' exist so I am at a loss on what to do next. I would have replied earlier but I don't know how to earn 3 points?

Cheers

Ian

0 votes
Ian Fowler January 7, 2016

Thanks Nic. Your suggestion has got me so far but now I have to backup the file with an older build (70101) as it won't import as my server version is a lower build number.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

Ahh, always fun that one. If the versions are quite similar (e.g. 7.0.1 and 7.0.4) then you can actually fiddle the build nnumber in the source xml and it'll work ok. What versions are we looking at here?

Ian Fowler January 7, 2016

Cloud version is 7.1.0 Build 71001 and the server version is 7.0.0 Build 70107

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2016

Ok, that's good, I don't think the data structure has changed for issues between those versions. So, I'd copy the xml to a new name (always backup...), go find 71001 in it and change it to 70107 :-)

0 votes
Ian Fowler January 5, 2016

Sorry should have mentioned that the xml back up was from a cloud instance under a different company name, and now I want to add it to the new company's JIRA instance.

Suggest an answer