making Jira available to external groups

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

We are outsourcing some of our development and need to find a way to get this external group using our Jira site.

Currently we have Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, Crucible all running internally using crowd for SSO and active directory authentication.

We are considering moving the Jira web server to our DMZ to allow these users to access but this changes our active directory login scenario for our current set of users.

Is there a better way of handling this where we dont have to move our current Jira site/server?

1 answer

1 vote
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

Unfortunately I don't a different way other than moving the server to your DMZ, sorry about that. The minimum group requirements to see issues is to be in the jira-users group. I would recommend to add your existing staff to a different group and create a new group for the external devs.

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2012

another factor is that moving Jira to the DMZ would break the integration with Confluence, bamboo, crucible, etc unless we moved those externally as well.

Is there a way to setup apache in the dmz and use reverse proxy to the machine, port internally and open that port in the firewall?

I think this is possible however, we had intermittent issues with Jira and reverse proxy using the ajp connector. This caused us to move Jira to be behind our F5 / DNS instead.

I would be nice for our external developers used perhaps the reverse proxy or another solution while we kept the same solution we have now for internal.

Suggest an answer