make a custom jira field required for one issue type

Mary Wilson July 29, 2014

All our projects use the Default Field Configuration. I have a custom field (Environment) that I want to make required for the Bug issue type. How do I make that change for all 50+ of our projects? I need the steps. I think I understand creating a Field Configuration and then a Field Configuration Scheme, but what I'm stuck on is how to I apply that to all 50+ projects. So far it feels like I have to visit all 50+ projects which seems highly inefficient. Please help. THANKS!

6 answers

0 votes
Mary Wilson August 17, 2014

Evidently this works as expected. Not what we want or what I would like, but that's the answer.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

I don't know. If they are in the issue type scheme you should be able to select them. We've never done that so I don't have any direct experience trying to do it.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

What do you you mean by changing issue type back to any other issue type?

Mary Wilson July 31, 2014

If we select Issue Type = Bug and do our thing, but then someone decides, it should not really be a Bug, but it should be an Improvement for example, we cannot change to Improvement because there are no issues in the Issue Type dropdown. Conversely, if Issue Type = Improvement, and we decide it needs to be a bug, "Bug" is not in the Issue Type dropdown.

0 votes
Mary Wilson July 31, 2014

Follow up to this. No matter what we do, it seems making our field mandatory is not working as expected. We can get the Environment field required for Issue Type = Bug, but can't seem to change that issue type back to any other issue type once that Field Configuration is in place. Anc conversely, for any other issue type (not Bug), we are unable to switch it to Issue Type = Bug.

We're stumped. Any ideas?

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2014

when you define a custom field you can restrict it to a single issue type.

I don't want the custom field restricted to a single issue type. I want it available to all issue types, but only required for the Bug issue type.

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2014

Hi Mary,

You can use the Behaviours Plugin for that (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours)

Also, regarding your doubts with schemes, take a look at our documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Ok, but how do I accomplish that with the plugin? And it looks like that particular plugin has been moved to be part of the Script Runner plugin. I need to know HOW to get this done without having to hit every project in our JIRA instance.

Suggest an answer