lost attachments

Marcos Cunha Lima March 13, 2015

After migrating to JIRA 6.3, we lost all attachments which JIRA Sequencial is greater or equal 10000. it seems (going to the directory where attachments are saved) that JIRA made a file from a directory where the are supposed to be.

For instance, Issue 27349:

ls in the directory shows:

/opt/jira.../data/attachments/CCF/CCF-27349/34567 <- HERE is a file but should be a directory holding the attachments.

/opt/jira.../data/attachments/CCF/CCF-27349/thumbs

Version of Jira: v6.3.15#6346-sha1:dbc023d

4 answers

0 votes
Marcos Cunha Lima April 1, 2015

The problem is with the version upgrade procedure:

1) It doesn't allow you to change the attachments directory anymore and, worse, it disabled attachments after the upgrade.

2) When I saw that no one was able to work with attachments after the upgrade, I noticed that it was disabled and enabled it but the directory it suggested was wrong (it points to a default directory, not the previous one).

3) Because I configured the directory long time ago (7 years), I didn't noticed that and after enabling it, all past attachments are gone.

4) I let Atlassian know that and they helped me and found where previous attachments were and I copied it to the new directory (thanks, Atlassian! your support is great).

Problem solved!

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2015

I know some odd things can happen and I've lost stuff in a upgrade before, but normally it is due to something being messed up in the database in the first place. When you tested the upgrade, did you experience the same thing? Were you testing with a recent version of Jira? Was there a server move involved at all?

0 votes
Marcos Cunha Lima March 16, 2015

From Version 6.1.

I've placed here to see if others went through the same hassle I went.

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

What version instance did you migrate from? This also sounds like should engage support on this.

Suggest an answer