login to a specific directory service

Patrick Gutheil March 6, 2014

Hi,

we evaluate Jira and created a user in the local database. Now I create LDAP with Authentication and change the order of the services for login. The LDAP with Authentication copies the user but don't merge them. My local user and my AD user use the same login name. But the new user have no admin permissions.

How could I login withthe user from the internal database?

Best regards

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

Hi Patrick,

When you have two users with the same username, but in different directories, JIRA will only authenticate with the user that belongs to the directory on the top position.

The only thing is that JIRA won't merge the group membership. For example, if the internal user is member of the group jira-administrators (which is the default group with administration privileges), the LDAP user won't inherit this group.

I believe that this was what happened in your case, the easist way to solve this issue is make the LDAP user member of the jira-administrators in the LDAP side (you would need to create this group in your LDAP in case it doesn't currently exist).

Also, this would only work if your LDAP directory in JIRA was configured to synchronize the groups from your LDAP (see "Synchronise Group Memberships" in this doc).

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer