log related issue

Gayatri Yadav June 3, 2019

Hi All,

I try to generate a log for dashboard creation and i am able to create a dashboard but it does not generate any log. please let me know is that facility available or not.

Thanks 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hi Gayarti,

I understand that you are wanting to see a log of when dashboards are created within Jira.  While this is not something I think you can configure via the log4j logging that creates logs on the filesystem of the Jira Server, this IS something that the Audit Log in Jira will keep track of.  As a Jira Administrator you can navigate to the Cog Icon -> System -> Audit Log to see this.

Specifically this is tracked in the description called 'dashboard changes'.  This would keep track of the creation, editing, or deletion of dashboards from Jira.

Does this meet your needs?

Andy

Gayatri Yadav June 6, 2019

Hi Andrew,

Thanks ! for the information related to "Dashboard Audit Log" this is helpful for us,

however we also want to know that remaining event -

• General configuration, 
  • Permission
  • Workflow

are audited or not? this information would be helpful for us.

Regards 

Gayatri Yadav

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2019

Hi Gayarti,

I wrote my original answer with the presumption that you were using Jira Server.  It has occurred to me now, that potentially you are using Jira Cloud.  If that is the case, then there are some significant difference between the platforms in regards to what they will track in their respective Audit Logs. 

In both platforms, the audit log will track permission and workflow changes.   However Cloud does not track the category of 'general configuration' whereas Server does.   I hope this helps to clarify.

Andy

Gayatri Yadav June 12, 2019

Hi Andy,

Thanks! for the fruitful information, and i tried to trigger the "Workflow Event" to get Audit log from cloud jira administer account 

can you please guide me for that?

Regards 

Gayatri Yadav

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2019

Hi Gayarti,

In Jira Cloud you can create a new workflow scheme to do this.   You can go into Jira Cloud, Cog Icon -> Issues -> Workflow Schemes, (The URL will look like this $JIRAURL/secure/admin/ViewWorkflowSchemes.jspa )  and then use the 'add workflow scheme' button to create a new scheme.  This action will create a entry in the audit log of Jira Cloud.

Gayatri Yadav June 14, 2019

Hi Andy, 

Thanks! for your help and guidance, i already done with the log that you mention here 

related to "Workflow scheme created".

i am not able to generate the log for this events in Workflow->

• Workflow

o    workflow draft published

o    scheme unassigned from a project

o    Status added

o    status updated

o    status deleted

o    transition added

o    transition updated

o    transition deleted

and please let me know that these "Workflow Event "are generating any log or not?

Regards 

Gayatri Yadav

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2019

Those specific workflow events are not being logged in the Jira Cloud Audit log.   Only the events listed in the documentation for Cloud are, such as:

Scheme created, scheme copied, scheme removed, scheme edited, scheme assigned to a project, scheme unassigned from a project, workflow created, workflow copied, workflow removed, workflow renamed, workflow draft published

But I can certainly understand if there is confusion over this topic.  Because in Jira Server the events you listed of:

Status added, status updated, status deleted, transition added, transition updated, transition deleted

... these specific events ARE logged by the audit log in Jira Server.   However since Server and Cloud products do not have a 1:1 feature parity.  So there are some features like this one that function a bit differently between the platforms.  I hope this helps to clarify.

Andy

Karthik Beereddy January 3, 2020

Hello,

We are using Jira Server/Datacenter version 8.2.2. We are looking to save the audit log events as "abc.log" to file system. Is there a way that i can setup the audit logs to be saved to file system. Can anyone please help me out.

Karthik

Suggest an answer