log analysis shows a known problem related to new relic: Using javaagent with JIRA

Kumaran Balachandran September 28, 2016

This is a report generated by a regular scan of your JIRA instance for known problems..

Found 16 known problems in the log file atlassian-jira.log (see below for details).

If you no longer wish to receive these reports, contact your JIRA administrator.

We have contacted the newrelic and they asked me to do the changes to their code. After changing still i am getting the message "Using javaagent with JIRA" message. How can we solve the problem 

Using javaagent with JIRA

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/using-javaagent-with-jira-790793295.html?utm_medium=scheduledLogScan&utm_source=STP

Thanks

Kumaran

1 answer

0 votes
Kumaran Balachandran September 28, 2016

Here is the Response from Newrelic

Thank you for sending us those logs. I didn't find any root cause or explanation in the logs themselves. However, I do believe I may have a solution for this issue based on a hypothesis relating to XSLT andsaxon classes. I mention them because I see them mentioned in the linked page as shown in the following screenshot:

If our Java agent attempts to transform Saxon classes this can be known to cause issues. Because of this we have logic in the Java agent to exclude these packages. However, in this application the class/package name is different than expected and may be the reason for these issues.

There is a very simply way to test this hypothesis, namely, by adding them to a 'class_transformerexclude section of the Java agent config file,newrelic.yml`. In that file, would you please find the following section (about 246 lines into the file):

class_transformer:
    # This instrumentation reports the name of the user principal returned from
    # HttpServletRequest.getUserPrincipal() when servlets and filters are invoked.
    com.newrelic.instrumentation.servlet-user:
      enabled: false

com.newrelic.instrumentation.spring-aop-2:

To this we would also add the 'Saxon classes' like so:

com.icl.saxon.*:

To clarify, YAML files (files with the extenstion *.yml) are sensitive to white spaces and those lines are indented 4 and 6 lines. The 'complete section' (sorry for the oxymoron) would look something like this:

class_transformer:
    # This instrumentation reports the name of the user principal returned from
    # HttpServletRequest.getUserPrincipal() when servlets and filters are invoked.
    com.newrelic.instrumentation.servlet-user:

com.newrelic.instrumentation.spring-aop-2:

com.icl.saxon.*:

These changes require a JVM restart to take effect. Would you be willing to please try these changes and let us know your results? Likewise, if there are questions about any of this (or anything else for that matter) please let us know and we will happily find answers.

Suggest an answer