localhost access only - not via IP

David Stevens January 1, 2014

hi,

just installed Jira - working from the server via http://localhost:8080 - but not via the IP address of the server (locally or remotely)

Installation is on Windows Server 2008 and I have added 8080 to the list of port for the server's firewall.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

4 answers

2 votes
AafrinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2014

Hi David,

Please verify the correct IP address of your LAN by running ipconfig command in the command line and also verify, if the port 8080 is listening mode in your machine by running the netstat -a command in the command line. Alternatively, the program tcpview can be used to verify if the port 8080 is in listening mode in your machine.

For the firewall, add the port 8080 for the inbound connection. This should allow the installed JIRA to accessed via IP.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2014

If Jira is running on localhost:8080 but you can't get to it on the same machine on <ip address>:8080, then I'm afraid either your network setup on that machine is broken, or you have not managed to open the port on the firewall.

A quick test would be to simply ping the local ip address from the server - if that works, then test <localhost> and <ip address> in a browser and check you get the same response. That rules out your network settings if they work ok.

0 votes
Matthias Thömel November 12, 2017

Hello, I had the same issue. The correct solution was for me: 

Add not a JIRA binary to the firewall but add the tomcat executable to it, like this:

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat8.exe.x64

for the 64 bit binary. This enables JIRA to receive connectes from outside.

0 votes
David Stevens January 26, 2014

firewall configuration on both public cloud provider and local host required.

Suggest an answer