limit user access in JIRA

Ryan Briggs October 16, 2013

I have an external developer that i want to access a project in JIRA but I want them to only be able to see one of the projects and not all, I can't see a way to do this in the user settings???

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

You have to give/limit access in jira projects.

Descriprion in Atlassian documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

0 votes
sahaeta9 December 15, 2016

JIRA is designed with sharing in mind; therefore in its default configuration all new projects are shared and viewable by all other users. It ships with two major groupings of usersgroups and roles. Groups are intended to global groups of users that can be assigned various permissions globally and per project. Project roles are similar, but are instead grouping on the project level. By default JIRA ships with groups and roles with matching names. When you create a new project in JIRA, it will automatically assign these user groups to the matching project roles. This gives these distinct groups of users the most common general default permissions for projects. For a complete overview of permissions and security in JIRA, check out the full Configuring Security documentation.

by. compass

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2013

Hi Ryan,

There is more than one way of doing it by if you don't want to change any of the other projects you can:
1. Create a new users group called: external-users
2. Add the group to the Global Permissions Jira Access (so they can log in) and other permissions you might require.
3. On the Project, go to Roles and add external-users to the Group Role (Users)
4. Add users to the external-users group and remove them from all the rest.

As they don't belong to any other groups, they won't be able to see the other projects.

Cheers!

Evan B July 11, 2018

This is how I would love for this to work. Seems easy and straightforward.

But when I let site access (to allow login) to a group, any user in that group then has site access, as you would expect. And then that user has access to browse all projects. 

I've run into a bevy of problems with it though. Using Jira Cloud.

Anyone revisit this more recently?

Suggest an answer