limit browser projects having permission for Reporter

Francisco Frechina October 31, 2019

Hi,

I have a list of project I would like to limit to certain users.

I can make it possible by using the browser project permission and limiting them to certain group of users. However, if I allow browser project to the Reporter (since I need to allow see issues those users can create them), everybody can see that project in the proyect list. Same happens if I allow browser project depending on a user picker custom field.

In my opinion, there should be an easy way to limit the list of projects a group of users can see, but I don't see it.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

First, by default JIRA has a horrible permission scheme that violates security best practices by allowing everyone that can logon to do just about everything.

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default, it grants access to the group used to logon (see Global permissions to see the "can use" groups and admin groups).  This is where users are getting their access.

1. The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.
  2. Then I suggest you setup Project Roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc.
  3. By using project roles, one permission scheme will cover all projects. The project admin controls project role membership
  4. If the project leads want everyone that can logon access to the project they can add the logon group to a project role with the desired permissions.

This may be a big effort, but it will pay off down the road by making it easy to control access.

Most of the 'old timers' use project roles. It meets the best practice for security and gives complete control to the project lead for access to their project. JIRA comes with many project roles, but you can add more if you have a special need.

Suggest an answer