kanban basic estimation / scheduling

willem dhaeseleer May 5, 2014

We provide basic estimates with every story that gets created, and then our PO prioritizes the backlog acordingly, planning requirements usually change often and we release several times per week so I do feel that the kanban model is a good fit for us.

But I haven't found any way to get the estimates to show up on the story cards or to get any basic estimation on a group of stories.

I found this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Tutorial+-+Tracking+a+Kanban+Team

But it only talks on how to verify the duration of tasks after they are finished, but we need a ballpark idea of how long things will take before we complete the tasks, otherwise the estimations arn't very usefull.

Is there any documentation available on how to some basic schedule forecasting / visualisation with JIRA kanban ?

1 answer

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2014

Hi Willem,

The Structure plugin lets you aggregate any numerical field values (e.g. story points) upwards through hierarchies of issues.

This lets you create your groups of stories (using drag and drop) and easily read off the total values using this approach. And you can create groups of groups of stories and so on.

There are a good many other applications of Structure with JIRA Agile that might be useful too.

Cheers,

Robert

Suggest an answer