jql based on due date within a specified quarter

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016

I have researched this a bit and found some similar scenarios but no real answer yet.

Scenario: We are using JIRA to track our quarterly MBOs. I have created a dashboard that displays the MBOs but I want the dashboard to flow naturally in time. That is, I would like to be able to show "last quarters results", "current quarter's progress" and maybe even "next quarter's goals".

Problem: I haven't found a way to JQL this w/o having to hard code and consequently modify the date component. Today I use Due Date and set to the end of the quarter. However, then as we move thru the quarters i have to update all of my filters...setting current to last, next to current, etc.

I'm looking for other's experience or ideas here that might allow me to have JQLs that survive the quarterly rollover. Hypothetical example to reiterate my desire: Current Quarter filter --> Issuetype = MBO AND DueDate in 'current quarter'.

All ideas welcome...

1 answer

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016

Hmm, you are on cloud, so Script Runner isn't available, correct?  I was thinking that you'd have to write a new JQL function for that, but then started looking into whether or not the function "issueFieldMatch" could be used to match the quarter based on regular expressions.  It doesn't seem impossible, but I couldn't work out the regex format offhand.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016

yep cloud so no scriptrunner. sad For now I have chosen to create some customer fields (MBO Year and MBO Quarter) to simplify my JQLs. I will simply have to edit my filters each quarter for now I think. yuck! We may move to server at some point then scriptrunner would be an option.

Suggest an answer