jira-users group lost

Hanae alahcen May 14, 2013

I lost the group jira-users

and all users can not connect anymore

and and we're stuck

pleaaase what can i do to resolve this !

please

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

Have you followed the documentation that Nic and Jobin showed you? Its very comprehensive. For now you can try to recover the administrator account first, and then re-create the jira-users group in your instance if you have accidentally deleted it. After creating the jira-users group, add it to the "JIRA Users" global permission, and add users to this group. Everyone should be able to log in after that.

To recover your admin account, simply follow the docs Jobin and Nic showed you: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

Do you have a backup? If so, restore JIRA. You might miss few changes done after last backup but that will probably be easier than the next suggestion.

If no backup, you will have to add the group via DB and add an admin user to it. After starting JIRA, add all the other users to the group.

Some helpful SQLs here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2013

Depends on what you mean by "lost", but you can start by logging in as an administrator - they all have login rights automatically, even if they're not in "jira users".

If that gets you in, then you should be able to start undoing the damage.

If you've broken the admin groups as well (messing with the database?) then have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

0 votes
Hanae alahcen May 15, 2013

can i have in steps the way to recreate the jira-users ?

thanks JObin

Thanks NIC

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

It is like any other groups. Make sure all are members of it!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Groups

0 votes

hello Nic ,

i still have all the users the problem is they can't connect because of the global permissions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2013

Ok, so what is wrong? Do you know what happened yet?

Has the "jira users" group been deleted? What have you got under "global permissions" for the "can log in" line?

i went to global permissions .. in the add Permission box i set " JIRA users " and affected the jira-developers to it , and also set all users to developer role

and it works

can i keep things just like this or do i really have to add the jira-users in the data base ?

no the source of the problem was : there is no 'jira-users' group anymore on the system i don't know how i deleted it

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2013

I don't know, you've not really explained what went wrong, or what changed before.

Your approch here might be right for your installation, but it's a little difficult to know because I'm not sure what you have or what you're aiming for.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

can i keep things just like this or do i really have to add the jira-users in the data base ?

Depends on how you want it. JIRA Developers is usually a restricted group compared to jira-users. It might be wise to recreate jira-users and add all users into it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2013

Oops! I feel your pain, I've done that too. Still, as we know the group was killed off, we can tell you what you're doing now is broadly correct.

In more detail: Jira needs a group in order to identify "people who can log in". That's the group you put into the general permissions on the "can use Jira" line.

You can use multiple groups if you want, but the general advice is to use "Jira users" and no others. The reason to avoid other groups there is that when you create a new user, they are always added into ALL the "can log in" groups.

So, broadly you're doing the right thing to repair it - you've got a new "can use jira" group, added it to the global permissions, and then put your users into it.

A second piece of advice here though - try to avoid using your login group for anything else. Specifically, do not use it in permission schemes, unless you really do have a genuine rule that says "people who can get into Jira can always do this in this project". Atlassian's default of using "jira users" in permission schemes is understandable, but unfortunately, a really bad example for new admins.

0 votes

thanks a lot for your help i will read this carefully and try to fix it

i hope i can ask you more questions tomorrow

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2013

Ouch though, really does sound broken to me! Although it's quite likely that your data is intact (unless you were using HSQL of course - I've seen that thing lose everthing) Best of luck - and keep asking questions when you're unsure!

Do you know what the actual cause is though? Your user base deleted for some reason? Or if you're using LDAP, was the connection to the LDAP server lost? Or something like that?

0 votes

ok please tell me that's not critical

0 votes

but seriously is the problem coming from the fact that jira-users does't exist anymore ?

if there is no jira-users group .. no one can connect but administrators ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

JIRA has global permissions where you define what groups can log in. If you have jira-users in there and you deleted the group, no one will be able to access it. As an admin, you can check the global permissions and see what groups are there. You can also add other groups like jira-developers under that permission.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

0 votes

You are not allowed to connect. If you think this is incorrect, please contact your JIRA administrators.

this is what displays when i try to connect with a user account

but as an administrator i can connect

"You are not allowed to connect" and i thing because i can't find jira-users group anymore

i tried to fix it with the jira-developers and nothing changed , i have the same problem !

0 votes

tell me guys where can i find the database JIRA in the server !

the probleme is i can't access JIRA database !

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

If you go to the JIRA Home folder, there is a file named dbconfig.xml. That has the DB details.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2013

We have no idea - it's your installation!

Can you remember how you installed it? dbconfig.xml really does live at the "root" of the home directory, so if you set the home to something like /foo/bar/jira, it will be /foo/bar/jira/dbconfig.xml

i went to the JIRA home folder but didn't found the dbconfig.xml file can i please have the entire path ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

Are you sure you are looking in the right folder? What do you see in that folder? Also, what version of JIRA is yours?

i went to atlassian/JIRA and found a lot of folders

Hello

i went to global permissions .. in the add Permission box i set " JIRA users " and affected the jira-developers to it , and also set all users to developer role

and it works

Suggest an answer