jira upgrade/migrate

Jessica K August 18, 2014

We are getting ready to upgrade JIRA. We are currently using version 4.1.2. We are installing the latest version and will be doing it on a different server, VM, than current server. Can we make the upgrade/new install on new server without an interim version? Can all screens, workflows, custom fields, etc be imported to new version? Any info/tips in regards to this is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2014
There is no easy answer to that. If you are using no plugins, then you are almost certainly going to be fine. If you are using plugins, then the only way to be sure is to test. In all caese, yes, all the config and data will be preserved, although some behaviours will change. The important things are to read the release notes and test.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2014

I've done 4.0 to 6.2 in one step, and I've worked with many Jira systems that have gone through varying levels of 4 -> 6 without significant problems. Some have run into minor bugs, fixed in minor releases by Atlassian, but I've yet to run into one that's been a problem

Except for the plugins. The paragraph above only applies for plain Jira. Plugins have caused us all sorts of problems on upgrade. I'd seriously consider stepping through major releases (4.0 -> 5.2 -> 6.3) if you've got the Agile plugin alone, and for any non-atlassian plugins too, do extensive testing.

Shay Murphy August 27, 2014

Jessica, I am in a similar position. I am upgrading from 4.0 to 6.2. I completed the upgrade by backing up the 4.0 instance and restoring directly into a fresh 6.2 instance.
We have some issues with some plugins no longer being supported so we will need to rewrite some functionality.

The data and configurations (screens, workflows, customfields) look good and we are in the process of testing the new instance functionality.

But I too am concerned about skipping interim versions. I have been warned that this will only lead to problems down the road. So I would like to know from anyone who has completed the direct upgrade approach, Are interim upgrades necessary?

thanks,

Shay

Shay Murphy August 27, 2014

Thank you Nic for your advice, it's really appreciated. Yes we have some complex workflows with a number of plugins (not the Agile plugin). We are conducting testing now, so really hoping we don't hit anything too significant.

Shay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2014

Focus on the plugins that write data. Plugins that only read are less likely to be a problem - if they fail, then you can't do stuff, but they won't do any damage (Reports, calculated custom fields, validators and conditions on workflows for exampl). Plugins that write are the ones that can block you because they could potentially damage your data.

Jessica K August 27, 2014

Thanks for the input!

Did either of you do a test version before moving directly to production?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2014

I've always tested stuff before jumping to production. Always. Ok, so it may be quite light testing when I know "it will work", but that takes some experience. And testing :-)

Suggest an answer