jira upgrade jira 6 war distribution to 7.05

Chakib GUEBOUL December 30, 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade JIRA 6 war distribution to JIRA 7.0.5. I choose the option "Upgrade an existing JIRA installation" but the installer says "The directory you have selected is not a valid JIRA Software installation directory" when I give the war path :

/app/local/jiraprod/atlassian-jira-6.3.12.war

I also try /app/local/jiraprod/atlassian-jira-6.3.12.war/WEB-INF

Do you have an idea about the issue?

Thanks,

Chakib

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2015

It's because it's a WAR version - the installers can only upgrade a standard setup of JIRA. 

You'll either need to unpack and rebuild the WAR from a clean install of a new JIRA, or migrate the 6.3.12 to an installed version that you can then upgrade.

0 votes
david.s.mittman January 1, 2016

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experience in upgrading from JIRA 6.4.12 WAR to 7.0.5, and if so, how they went about doing so. Some background: I've been upgrading JIRA the same way for the last 12 upgrades going back to version 4.1.2. I use the web archive build method with customizations and let the new version perform its upgrade tasks on my database (I have everything backed up, of course). Atlassian's recommended practice is to export database data via XML and then import it into the new database; I've never run into trouble just letting the new JIRA upgrade the database data in place.

Here's what I'm planning on doing to upgrade from JIRA 6.4.12 WAR to 7.0.5:

1. Run the JIRA 7.0.5 installer (Linux 64-bit) as a non-root user, and let it create the jira and jira-data directories in /tmp using ports not currently in use by my production instance.
  2. Stop the JIRA 7.0.5 instance, remove the jira-data directory and use jira directory as the "new" JIRA 7.0.5 webapp (before customization).
  3. Customize the "new" JIRA 7.0.5 by changing setenv.sh, server.xml, jira-application.properties, log4j.properties, install the MySQL connector, etc., as I've done in all past upgrades.
  4. Starting the "new" JIRA 7.0.5 and let it upgrade the data in my MySQL database.

Thoughts? Comments?

0 votes
Chakib GUEBOUL December 30, 2015

Hello,

Thanks for the answer

I had unpack and rebuild the War from a new install. But when I try to start the tomcat I can see this error in logs :

déc. 31, 2015 11:29:39 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

GRAVE: Error listenerStart

déc. 31, 2015 11:29:39 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

GRAVE: Erreur de démarrage du contexte [/jiraprod] suite aux erreurs précédentes

déc. 31, 2015 11:29:39 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2015

That's the problem with re-packing - you've probably missed some settings in the config of the WAR. But there's no way to know what you've missed. You could spend weeks working this out, it would be far easier to migrate to an installed version.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2015

Suggest an answer