jira tmp_attachments folder is too large

Vusal Aliyev April 3, 2020

Hi

Can I delete or how to reduce size of jira tmp_attachments folder is in jira home folder?

is this cause of low performance of JIRA? size is 8.5 GB, is it normal?

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan V. December 5, 2022

Hi @Vusal Aliyev ,

Nick is right, you can delete the files under tmp_attachments, as there was a bug that was introduced which prevents Jira from automatically deleting them when they are no longer valid.

You can read about the bug here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71824

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

You can delete from here safely if you do it the right way:

• Stop Jira
  • Delete files (I'd recommend keeping files that were created or updated in the last 3 days though.  1 day is a little low on larger systems, but anything over a week can definitely go)
  • Start Jira

The first time you do this, I would err on the side of caution - do not delete, but create a temporary directory and move the old files out into that.  If you get no attachment related problem reports for a week, then kill the old files off.

Vusal Aliyev April 24, 2020

But Atlassian docs says that, anything from cache folder should not be deleted. Are you sure about it?

Suggest an answer