jira test plan for backup and restore

Reneesh Kottakkalathil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

I'd like to test backup and restore for Jira on my non production system. The file system and the database are already getting backedup. I'm looking for the steps to test the restore. 

Example.

1. Delete a attachment from ticket.

2. Restore the attachment from the server backup.

3. Test

The above steps may not be the correct steps, but I'm just throwing an example.

Does anyone have test cases so I can run it on my non-production system?

2 answers

0 votes
Patrick Joerg July 9, 2020

I like to hang in here for something that could be a time saver for many of us.

When having Jira or also Confluence Server installed on premise it is a usual case to run a test system to try some things out first before going live to the users.

Now that connectivity grows I spend a lot of time doing the same jobs over and over again. From time to time, my goal was once a month, I flush the test system with the productive one to be up to date. However that overwrites all the connector settings as well. Since we have quite some of them already, that takes time, and I have to shut them down to not get corrupted data.

Now I'm shure I'm not the first one with that issue, and no going Cloud is not an option, so maybe there would be a growing demand for features, where I could kind a customize my backup. For instance:

- Don't overwrite Application Links in Confluence, or

- Dont' overwrite Basic URL in Jira nd Confluence

That might be already solved and I just dont know the best practise. Otherwise it would be quite a feature request i know.

Anyway thanks for any comments.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hello @Reneesh Kottakkalathil

Thank you for reaching out.

I believe the most complete and secure backup restore you can perform would be by using the XML backup functionality under JIRA Settings > System > Backup manager. 

Using that option, the process to restore JIRA is pretty straight forward and will restore all the information you had on your instance at the time of the backup, replacing all the actions/changes performed in the instance after the moment that the backup was performed. However, you can also identify small pieces of information in the XML file, in case you want to recover a specific detail (Issue, Attachment, field value, etc).

The steps would be:

1 - Navigate to JIRA Settings > System > Backup manager and generate the backup of your whole instance

2 - Once you split your backup export into two separated files for your users and issues(See documentation below), hoose the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > System and Under IMPORT AND EXPORT, click Restore system and follow the steps.

You can check the documentation below for more details about the restoring steps:

Backup Manager JIRA Cloud

Let me know if this information helps.

Marion Richardson January 19, 2023

Hi there @Petter Gonçalves 

This is an old post but I hope you see my questions. I'm looking into how I can test a JIRA cloud restore without affecting users and the information in Jira projects. 

I looked at the link above. We have mostly Company-Managed but also a few Team-Managed projects. Should I be moving these to Company-Managed?? 

Thanks!

Marion

Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Marion Richardson 

We have built an app focussed on granular restoration of Jira data. Please reference our app in the Atlassian marketplace here.

With the Revyz app you can restore back specific deleted issues back into projects that are active or restore back deleted attachments or even revert back an un-deleted issue to what it was in the past.

Backup & Restore is one of the use cases we address through our app, there are other data management related use cases we also address, happy to go through more if interested. You could also reference a post I just made on a similar topic for more info.

Thank you

Vish

Marion Richardson January 19, 2023

Hi Vish! Thanks so much for the quick reply! That's very helpful.

Marion

Like Vish Reddy _Revyz_ likes this

Suggest an answer