jira refused to connect

seanjmc September 3, 2017

I tried to change my port from 8080 to 80.  

It appears I introduced an error in servers.xml and dug up an old copy of servers.xml, the only difference being the mail server wasn't configured:

<Resource name="mail/JiraMailServer"
auth="Container"
type="javax.mail.Session"
mail.smtp.host="localhost"
mail.smtp.port="25"
mail.transport.protocol="smtp"
/>

I reverted to the old server.xml but the connection is still refused.

This is pretty serious, I've spent the last 3 hours going in circles.  

After a startup attempt catalina.log is as follows:

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/atlassian/jira
Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/atlassian/jira
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/jira/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /opt/atlassian/jira/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /opt/atlassian/jira/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.
jira@jira:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin$ sudo vi /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out
jira@jira:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin$ sudo vi /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out
2017-09-03 16:59:59,067 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml
2017-09-03 16:59:59,213 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Memory Usage:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heap memory : Used: 51 MiB. Committed: 371 MiB. Max: 742 MiB
Non-heap memory : Used: 35 MiB. Committed: 36 MiB. Max: 1264 MiB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : Used: 86 MiB. Committed: 408 MiB. Max: 2006 MiB
2017-09-03 16:59:59,215 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [c.a.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher] Stopping launchers
2017-09-03 16:59:59,218 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [o.a.c.c.C.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]] Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.ClusteringLauncher.stop(ClusteringLauncher.java:25)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.stop(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:203)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextDestroyed(LauncherContextListener.java:195)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStop(StandardContext.java:4858)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stopInternal(StandardContext.java:5474)
... 3 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
03-Sep-2017 16:59:59.273 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
03-Sep-2017 16:59:59.291 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.stop Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]
03-Sep-2017 16:59:59.292 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.destroy Destroying ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]

As you can see there is an obvious error

2017-09-03 16:59:59,218 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [o.a.c.c.C.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]] Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener
java.lang.NullPointerException

Any ideas how to fix it?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2017

Revert to stock server.xml and verify that JIRA is running.

Add apache or nginx in front of jira.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/integrating-apache-http-server-reverse-proxy-with-jira-753894357.html

-Lars

seanjmc September 3, 2017

I repeated everything and it worked the second time.  I had to delete the the lock but folllowing that it's back up.  I'll leave changing port 8080 to 80 for another day!

Suggest an answer