jira query to display the date of first comment by someone other than reporter

Stephen LaRoche January 16, 2015

Is there any way to write a JIRA query which displays the date of each issue's first comment (plus next I want to refine that to first comment by someone other than the reporter)?   I think not, but just checking.

3 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2015

I believe Atlassian recommends using jql rather than SQL, since SQL gives full access to all data in JIRA including restricted issues. And SQL queries are not allowed in Cloud

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2015

For non-cloud script runner is a better approach I think

0 votes
Stephen LaRoche January 16, 2015

That's awesome!

I should have said JIRA "filter" instead of query.   I was hoping I could do it with JQL.

But I think I just need to ask for db query permission and do this using sql like you proposed.  

I can see from what your sql needs to do that I was just having a nice fantasy that it could be done from advanced search using JQL. smile

João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2015

At this point you cannot achieve this kind of result with a JQL query, as it's very basic, not including advanced functions like 'JOIN'. :( By the way, I made a mistake on the query, which I just corrected. I have updated it and should perform way better! ;)

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2015

Hey Stephen!

Good news for you: the query is not only possible, I also just wrote it for you and you can test just by copying it below and running on your database. wink

warning Be aware that this query was wrote and tested on a PostgreSQL database, so you may have to adapt according to your database type.

SELECT DISTINCT(CONCAT(p.pkey, '-', ji.issuenum)) AS "Issue", 
    ja.created AS "Date of first comment", 
    ja.actionbody AS "Comment" 
FROM jiraaction ja 
    JOIN jiraissue ji ON ja.issueid = ji.id
    JOIN project p ON ji.project = p.id
WHERE actiontype='comment'
    AND ji.reporter != ja.author
ORDER BY 3;

Cheers!

Joao

Suggest an answer