jira.permission.attach property

Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] September 27, 2017

Hey all, 

When I use this status property, I manage to deny creating new attachments from users but the problem is that they cannot even view the already uploaded attachments.

How can I fix this? I need them to view the attachments but not create them.

(JIRA Server 6.4)

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2017

You can use the workflow property of

jira.permission.attach.group = Group-name

In order to limit which users can attach files to an issue in that specific state.   The groupname you list there would be the only group of users that have the ability to add attachments to that case.  But in doing so, other users not in that group can still see existing attachments on that issue.  They just cannot add attachments unless either the issue is in another status, or they are member of that group.

If you aren't sure how this should look in a workflow property, I would recommend checking out this other related post that might help explain how using the .group attribute should look.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Property-value-to-restrict-deleting-attachment-from-issue-in/qaq-p/638286

That post was about deleting attachments, so the property name is different, but the principles are the same.

But if you just want to prevent users from creating attachments, there is also the Managing Permission Schemes documentation that might also be helpful.   The difference is that the permission scheme settings persist for all issues in that project, regardless of their status. 

Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] September 29, 2017

Thank you for your reply. 

I did all those things before posting this question. Thing is, when you add the property on the very first step of your flow, then the creator add attachment and then it disappears. 

You can reproduce it I guess

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

That's interesting.  The behavior for this workflow property appears to be different in Jira 6.4.x when compared to more recent versions such as 7.4.x.

In my Jira 6.4.13 instance, I can see the same behavior you report, where attachments are not visible at all with that workflow property.  But in Jira 7.4, I found that this property still allows you to see existing attachments, but not add new ones.

After looking deeper into this, I can't seem to find a specific property that would allow you to still see existing attachments, but not be able to add them in Jira 6.4. 

I am not certain exactly which version the behavior of this workflow property changed.  Unfortunately the workflow properties are not very well documented on our site at this time.   I suspect that this was changed with the release of Jira 7.0.0.   Perhaps upgrading Jira would be the best way to enforce the behavior I think you are trying to implement here.

Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] October 13, 2017

Yeah, thank you very much! 

With regards,

Athina

Suggest an answer