jira numbers still crossed out after status changes to reopened

Alicia Pena December 12, 2012

Jira ticket numbers that have been resolved show hyperlinks crossed out. That's fine, except when we reopen a ticket it still shows the number as crossed out. That's annoying and confusing because people see the jira number crossed out and think the issue is resolved again but it's in reopened state. How can I change a reopened jira ticket number to show up without the the number crossed out?

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2012

Change the resolution to none.

The strikeout indicates that the issue is "resolved", which means a resolution is not blank (doesn't matter what resolution - the decision is "set to something" versus "none"). To get into the situation you are in, I'd guess that you have edited your workflow and not realised that you need to clear the resolution when going through a "reopen" transition.

Have a look at the built-in default workflow and look at the "post functions" out of the status of resolved or closed - you'll see that they all say "clear the resolution". You need to implement that in your workflow in the right transitions.

Once you've corrected your workflow(s) to stop more issues getting into this situation, then you can look at fixing the issues that currently have the strikeout. Bulk edit should help you fix them all.

The default workflow opens as System Workflows are not editable, therefore I can't select the transition to reopen to see in which step the "clear the resolution" should be. As I indicated in my earlier post, we have it as the first step "The Resolution of the issue will be cleared" (I'm assuming that's the step you were refering to as "clear the resolution"?) I did not set this up and am just getting familiar with it so I'm not sure which steps may have been missed. I appreciate your assitance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2012

You don't need to edit the workflow to view what it is doing. I use the default workflow as an example because it has some very useful concepts in it. More importantly, because we can't edit it, I can rely on what you see as being the same as what I've got in front of me.

You need to look at your workflow and edit that, so that it uses the "clear resolution" post-function on any transtion that should remove the strike-out (To be clear, yes, "The resolution of the issue will be cleared" is what you will see displayed.)

John Volosen October 31, 2018

Just in case someone wants to know how to add the step "The resolution of the issue will be cleared", here are the steps:

1. got to edit your workflow

2. click on the "reopen" transition to edit its properties

3. go to Post-Functions and "Add New Post Function"

4. select option to "Update Issue Filed"

5. in the pop-up select the "Resolution" field and set its value to "None"

6. Save everything and remember to "Publish" your workflow draft

The above steps should add a new first step that says "The resolution of the issue will be cleared" as already mentioned

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2015

As per answer - edit the workflow.

0 votes
Ken Pratt June 11, 2015

I have the strikeout problem described above for.  I have a custom workflow that has a reopen transition in it.  The destination state is Open, not Reopen.  My reopen transition does not have the 'Resolution will be cleared' Post Action on the list of Post Actions. How do I add it? 

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2012

Hi Apena,

Hmm, based on your answer, it seems that the 'Resolution will be cleared' post-function is already set in your custom workflow, am I correct? This post-function should remove the line over the issue key when the transition is performed.

May I know if this workflow is indeed the one that is associated to the project? If it is, could you try running the integrity checker, to see if there is any error in the integrity of your data? You can check how to use it here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Database+Integrity+Checker

That you so much Joe and Nic for your assistance! I went through the workflows again and found a couple of other reopen transitions that did not include the post function to clear resolution. After I added it in those places it fixed the problem for newly reopened issues. However now I have to figure out how to fix links for those that were reopened before the post functions were in place. Nic mentioned something about bulk edit, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that yet.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2012

For bulk-edit, you need to check that you've got the global permission to use it first. Then you run a filter for "issues with the wrong resolution" (e.g. status = reopened and resolution = resolved). To the top right of the issue navigator, you 'll have "bulk edit" as an option, and you can follow that through to change the resolutions.

Thanks! All fixed! You guys are awesome!

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012
Hmm hi apena. Is this a custom workflow you're using or the default jira flow? If custom maybe some postfunctions are missing. Could you check this out?

Its custom (slightly modified version of the default). I'm new to this, but reading up on workflows it says there needs to be arrows in the workflow to move from one status to another. Our closed and Reopened states have close issue and Reopen Issue transactions associated with them showing arrows going both ways. In looking at the post function of the Reopen Issue transaction it shows "The Resolution of the issue will be cleared" as the first step, then "set issue status to linked status of the destination workflow step", then Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition", then "Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database", then "Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database", then "Fire a Issue Reopened event that can be processed by listeners", then "Fire a Issue Reopened even taht can be processed by the listeners". From that information can you tell what I might be missing here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2012

Simplify what you are looking at. As I said already, the strikeout is based entirely on the resolution field.

Ignore everything except the resolution field. It's set (or not) by either post-functions OR if a transition goes through a screen with the field on it. That's it. Ignore the rest. Comments, status, index, forget it, just look at the resolution field.

Like Ирина Попова likes this
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

i don't know if i've missed it...lets look at one of this issues you recently reopened...which value has resolution?

in my first answer i was exactly aiming at what Nic said...

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question