jira & maven integration

martin Cedervall April 25, 2013

I have heard that jira can be integrated with Maven – But I am struggling finding any real example that illustrated what this would look like though.
In the back of my mind I visualize something that would tie a published web site for a set release linking the issues addressed with the bug tracking system.
Not sure if my expectations is to high, but I am curious if this is what a jira + maven integration would bring?

Is there a place where I can find more information (other than pure configuration and setup) that would show me what such integration would look like ?

cheers

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AmberF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

At present, there aren't any native features in JIRA that allow you to view Maven build information, nor is there an official add-on in our Atlassian Marketplace. That said, there are a couple of options that might fit your needs:

1. You could develop a custom plugin to meet all of your Maven integration requirements using our JIRA Development Documentation. While custom development isn't covered by Atlassian support, you're welcome to ask for development advice here on Answers or contact an Atlassian Expert for professional assistance.

2. You could utilize our continuous integration server, Bamboo, to run your maven processes. Bamboo seamlessly integrates with JIRA out-of-the-box giving you the ability to view build information from inside your JIRA issues and JIRA Dashboard.

0 votes
martin Cedervall April 25, 2013

So the expectation I had of integratiing JIRA and Maven and its reporting capabilies is incorrect then ?

Seem to be a lot of Maven plugin's for JIRA though - thought some of them would provide full reporting capabilites - if that's the case then I've been duped :)

I'm very happy with our maven setup that enable us to automate a whole range of things - including the publishing of site info - would have been great if this also could be linked in with a bug tracking system so full details of the changes only where a click away and tied to set releases.

The change and activity repors produced my maven is ok, but the clear wekness is that it's decouled from our bug tracking system - that to me is the only thing missing currently.

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

JIRA & Maven is quite a broad subject. JIRA itself is a Maven project. The Atlassian SDK will also use Maven to create plugins. However, this might be what you're looking for.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

I think for build <-> JIRA integration you want Bamboo, which is the app that orchestrates builds, and integrates neatly with JIRA. Doing it by hand in a Maven pom isn't something I've seen.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Integrating+Bamboo+with+JIRA

Perhaps also:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.bamboo

Suggest an answer