jira kanban backlog on server

BlueHat Dave December 21, 2016

Is there a way to get/imitate the Kanban backlog on the server version of Jira? None of the related questions quite answers this one.

7 answers

0 votes
Jakub Lazinski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make sure you're aware that Kanban backlog is available in JIRA Server since version 7.4.

In the upcoming release of JIRA 7.5 we're going to extend the Kanban backlog functionality to support Versions and Epics panels.

Now you have yet another reason to start planning your next upgrade already now :).
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jakub

Ben Radlinski September 7, 2017

How do you got it to work in 7.4.2, because it's not working for me? I've followed the instructions, but like the users above, it doesn't show me the Kanban backlog column.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

Consider asking a NEW question and posting a screenshot.

Paul Hartness January 3, 2018

I'm running JIRA Software server 7.6 and its not available for me either

Ingo Mohr January 3, 2018

The Kanban backlog feature is available in JIRA Server 7.4, 7.5 and 7.6.

You just have to turn it on in the board configuration of your board. That's the trick. Go ahead and hit that checkbox. ;)

Paul Hartness January 4, 2018

I have JIRA Software server 7.6 and there is no checkbox for me to enable the kanban backlog.  Nor any mention of a backlog in the admin settings. The only configuration I can turn on/off is parallel sprints and stick sprint headers.  Any suggestions?

Paul Hartness January 5, 2018

Unfortunately not, my columns section in the board settings does not look like the image given in that link.  It does not mention the kanban backlog or allow me to set it up. :-(

Ingo Mohr January 8, 2018

Hm. And you have administrator permissions as they say in the howto?

Maybe, the Atlassian support can help.

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

I had the same problem as Paul after upgrading from Jira 7.2.1 to Jira 7.7.1:
The Kanban Backlog Panel was not visible in the Columns section of the board configuration.

I checked the Dark Features System Administration Page and I deleted a feature called something like com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.epics.and.versions (I dont remember the exact naming, as I already have deleted it, but the kanban ranking was still missing)
I then added the feature

• com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.enabled

The kanban ranking is now enabled, and I can drag my status into the backlog and activate it, however the epics and versions filters are missing.

My best guess is that the required new "kanplan.epics.and.versions" darkfeature is misspelled and therefore nothing is active by default?
Any suggestions on how to get the epics and versions available too?

0 votes
Aleksei Klimkin February 16, 2017

Hasn't Kanban backlog been added to the server version yet?

If not, when is it planned to be launched?

Unfortunately, my company has changed the cloud version of JIRA to the server version, and we were using Kanban backlog feature, but with this transition this functionality seems to be lost for us. Of course this can be done manually, by filtering the needed Issues (with some components in our case) on a status which kept the Issues in the kanban backlog on the cloud version. But this isn't quite satisfying, unfortunately.

Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2017

Hi,

You can enable Kanban Backlog using Dark Features:

Go to:

BASE_ULR/secure/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa

and enable feature:

com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan

Hope it helps :)

Robert

Benjamin Schwarz April 5, 2017

Dear Robert,

thanks for the nice hacky recommendation—tried that but didn't notice any changes in the board column conf screen. Is there anything else needed, e.g. server restart? Also, we are currently stuck on 7.1.x, is this only supposed to work on 7.3.x?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments

Ben

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2017

Deyves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2017

In fact, the correct flag to be added should be this one:

com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.enabled

0 votes
BlueHat Dave December 26, 2016

Thank you for the advice.

0 votes
Ingo Mohr December 24, 2016

We tried to "emulate" that feature using a Scrum board (which has a backlog feature). We used the following model:

• One running sprint, name "current", end date being somewhere in the future
  • One backlog
  • Issues are being moved to sprint from top of backlog (e.g. in replenishment meeting)

Problems

• "Done" column gets full very quickly
    • Without a quick filter "hide done" you in no time loose grips on the board
    • The only way to get rid of the "Done" issues is to close the sprint and start a new one
      • For this, you first have to add a second sprint because otherwise all "Not-Done" issues fall back to the backlog which makes it hard to start the "same" sprint again in a simple way.
  • Release handling is not as easy as on a Kanban board (where you would ship the whole "Done" column as release)
  • Always the question: "Why do we have to do Kanban on a Scrum board when there is a Kanban board, as well?"

Eventually, after 6 or 7 weeks, we changed the model to 4-weeks-sprints on a scrum board. The emulation (at least the model described above) didn't feel handy.

0 votes
BlueHat Dave December 24, 2016

@Ingo Mohr Thanks for the suggestion.

@Steven Behnke Yeah, that's why I asked if there was a known workaround.

@Mark Bewley Would you be so kind as to enlighten us?

0 votes
Ingo Mohr December 24, 2016

I'm also waiting for this one (as it already is available on JIRA Cloud). I found this issue. Maybe that will help for tracking: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-15236

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2016

Kanban backlog hasn't been launched for JIRA server yet...

Suggest an answer