jira installation problem -

Mark Hayhurst January 3, 2015

Hi - trying to use the x64 installer on a Centos server and I don't get to the point of any interaction with the installer but get an error message:

/tmp/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin: line 466: /tmp/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin.14178.dir/jre/bin/java: Permission denied

If I try to trap that path there is no java executable there. There is already a java 1.8 environment on the server though which it doesn't seem to find (if it's looking)...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

5 answers

2 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2015

Hello Mark!

When you install JIRA to run as standalone application (manually executed on the command line), it installs a standalone JRE in order not to depend from the one installed in your server.

information Under UNIX systems, JIRA is automatically installed as a standalone application when you run the install script as an ordinary user instead of a root user.

Considering that you are running the installation script as an ordinary user, please check if this user you are executing the script with has both read and write permissions inside the reported folder. In order to do that, please run the following command on your terminal:

ls -l /tmp | grep atlassian-jira

Send us the output of this command.

-Joao

Mark Hayhurst January 5, 2015

I am running as root root@vps40 [/tmp]# ls -l /tmp | grep atlassian-jira -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 287251097 Dec 2 19:03 atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin* root@vps40 [/tmp]#

João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2015

Can you make sure if your CentOS installation is 32-bit or 64-bit? In order to check that, run the following command on your terminal: uname -a Post here the output, please.

Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2018

Hi @Mark Hayhurst,

I just ran into the same problem as well - seems like the problem was that the ordinary user didn't have enough permissions on the /tmp folder.

By moving the installer to the home directory, everything went perfectly fine!

0 votes
Janco Hoekstra December 24, 2019

Installing on Ubuntu 18.04 gave me the same problem. In my case it was caused by to little amount of swap file. Here is how I fixed it:

I copied my swap to a file. Advantige of this ist that its very easy to resize.

sudo swapoff -a

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1G count=8

if = input file
               of = output file
               bs = block size
               count = multiplier of blocks

sudo mkswap /swapfile

sudo swapon /swapfile

grep SwapTotal /proc/meminfo

This solved my problem.

0 votes
Mark Hayhurst January 12, 2015

It's 64 bit

root@vps40 [/tmp]# ls -l atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 287251097 Dec  2 19:03 atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin*
root@vps40 [/tmp]# uname -a
Linux 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 16 23:51:20 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@vps40 [/tmp]#

And am trying to run the install as root so perms cannot be an issue...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

0 votes
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2015

Also check that the installer is executable. chmod +x atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2015

Mark,

Check if the user that you are running the installer has read / write permissions on the /tmp path. You will need an administrator user to properly install JIRA.

wink

-- Pedro

Mark Hayhurst January 5, 2015

I'm running as root ...

Suggest an answer